none
Gemini Service and Foundation Subscription Databases are too Old and upgrade is required???

All replies

• What are you trying to update on the servers that is being blocked by this and why are you using the latest CU? It is not recommended practice to update CUs unless they fix an issue with your farm.
    Wednesday, April 05, 2017 8:53 AM
  • We do have an issue at the moment we want to resolve with our environment and it seems as though an update to sharepoint will fix the issue, however we are being blocked by these database issues at the moment.

Regardless, I would've thought that maintaining an up to date application on a server would be standard practice. For instance with windows updates this is usually the case.

This is an interesting article on the topic:

https://blog.crsw.com/2014/02/05/sharepoint-cumulative-updates-best-practices/

Would you say the above article is the same reasoning as yours for not applying the latest CU's or do you have another insight in which to elaborate on?

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Yes, that's a decent summary of the reasons. MS want you to keep up to date, however they do break things in CUs, even Service Packs that are tested far more thoroughly still break things. SharePoint is a very complex beast and given the huge number of scenarios and, to be fair, dodgy implementations, they can't test everything. It should be better in 2016, my private suspicion is that one of the advantages of the minrole deployment model was to reduce the scope of testing required.

Edit: The exception to this is security updates. Those you must test but should roll out as soon as you're able.

As to your point, yes i agree, fixing it is worth while. Dropping back on the CUs gives you more time to find the solution but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't be working out why you've got the error message. Unhelpfully I can't remember any good options or suggestions for investigation beyond Bing/Google.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 11:50 AM