Windows 7 to XP Workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• There certainly seems to be a lot of run around with this issue. I bought a new computer that came with Windows 7 installed.  I’m then told that Windows 7 cannot be connected to the XP workgroup.  However if I upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, then I can run a virtual XP mode. I have a vital program that only runs on XP.  The understanding was I could then connect to the XP workgroup as well.  I haven’t been able to figure that out either.  I then contacted Microsoft and they want $250.00 to talk to a tech support person.  I finally did get an answer – I can NOT connect to the XP workgroup when in the XP mode on the Windows 7 machine. I can connect to the XP workgroup from Windows 7 (even though Microsoft’s own info says that you can’t) and they directed me to this forum for instructions on how to do it.  That’s the help from Microsoft!

By the way, I haven’t been able to do a new OS install with XP.  BestBuy tells me it can’t be done on these new computers!  However, they are also the ones who told me I could connect to the XP workgroup from the XP mode in Windows 7!

Has anyone had any success?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:23 AM

Answers

• If you are talking about accessing shares and all that stuff, then yes that will be possible from Windows 7. however, Windows 7 comes with another feature which is better than WORKGROUP.. Its HOMEGROUP for file share access.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

If the application which you'r referring to is a single EXE, then you can try launching it by making a change in the properties of the same and choosing the compatibility mode as Windows XP SP3.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, August 6, 2010 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:48 AM
  • Windows 7 can connect to a Workgroup; whoever told you it couldn't is full of it.

How do you know your vital program doesn't run under Windows 7, have you tried?

What steps have you taken to try to join your new Windows 7 machine to your Workgroup?  It should be as easy as Start Orb->Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Computer Name->Change and type in your workgroup's name in the box.  Then after rebooting Start Orb->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Change Advanced Sharing Settings then Turn on Network Discovery and Turn On File and Printer Sharing.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:32 PM

All replies

• If you are talking about accessing shares and all that stuff, then yes that will be possible from Windows 7. however, Windows 7 comes with another feature which is better than WORKGROUP.. Its HOMEGROUP for file share access.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

If the application which you'r referring to is a single EXE, then you can try launching it by making a change in the properties of the same and choosing the compatibility mode as Windows XP SP3.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, August 6, 2010 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:48 AM
  • Windows 7 can connect to a Workgroup; whoever told you it couldn't is full of it.

How do you know your vital program doesn't run under Windows 7, have you tried?

What steps have you taken to try to join your new Windows 7 machine to your Workgroup?  It should be as easy as Start Orb->Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Computer Name->Change and type in your workgroup's name in the box.  Then after rebooting Start Orb->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Change Advanced Sharing Settings then Turn on Network Discovery and Turn On File and Printer Sharing.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:32 PM