none
DPM 2012 SP1 and Qualstar RLS-8236 Tape Library RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have DPM 2012 SP1 loaded on Server 2012 Standard.  I am trying to get a Qualstar RLS-8236 Changer working with DPM.  The changer contains two IBM Ultrium-TD4 SCSI tape drives.  Both the drives and the changer are listed in Device Manager and Windows reports them both to be working.  The drives are listed under "Tape Drives" and the changer is listed under "Medium Changer Devices."  The Qualstar is SCSI only.  I am using the Microsoft "ltotape.sys" drivers for the IBM Ultrium Tape Drives, since I have read that there are compatibility issues with manufacturer provided drivers with 2012.  I have also checked the HCL and the Qualstar RLS-8236 is listed as a compatible device.

The twist here is, I have DPM installed on an IBM blade, contained in a BladeCenter-H.  The changer is connected to the DPM server via fiber to an Atto 2400 Fiber to SCSI bridge, then via SCSI to the Qualstar changer.  I have checked the zone mapping within the Atto device and that is correct and the Atto sees the drives and changer.  I have re-seated/re-attached all fiber and SCSI connections as well.  I have also cycled the power on both the Atto fiber bridge and the Qualstar changer several times.

Within the DPM Management Console, the Changer library is listed, along with the barcoded tapes.  However, the drives are not listed at all.  When I run DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /LL , the changer is listed, along with the IBM Tape Drives:

Found 1 Tape Libraries
    Found 0 Standalone Drives
    --------------------- Tape Library Information ----------------
    LIBRARY (Drive bays - 2, Drives - 2)
              Device Name         : \\.\Changer0
              Device Serialnumber : 0002505155
              Device Vendor Name  : Qualstar RLS-8236 Tape Library
              Device Product Name : Qualstar Corporation
              FirmWare Revision     : 007A
              Device SCSI Props   : (P,B,T,L)0,0,4,1

DRIVE - 0, DRIVE Bay Index - 0
              Device Name         : \\.\Tape2147483646
              Device Serialnumber : 1310258134
              Device Vendor Name  : IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 SCSI Sequential Device
              Device Product Name : LTO
              FirmWare Revision     : BB20
              Device SCSI Props   : (P,B,T,L)0,0,4,2

DRIVE - 1, DRIVE Bay Index - 1
              Device Name         : \\.\Tape2147483645
              Device Serialnumber : 1310257642
              Device Vendor Name  : IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 SCSI Sequential Device
              Device Product Name : LTO
              FirmWare Revision     : BB20
              Device SCSI Props   : (P,B,T,L)0,0,4,3

------------------- End of Tape Library Information -----------

However when I run DPMDriveMappingTool.exe, I receive the following messages:

"Performing Device Inventory ...
    IGNORABLE: GetTapeStatus for the Drive \\.\Tape2147483646 failed, skipping this Drive. Error Code is: 0x80070002, Error Message is: The system cannot find the file specified.
    IGNORABLE: GetTapeStatus for the Drive \\.\Tape2147483645 failed, skipping this Drive. Error Code is: 0x80070002, Error Message is: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Mapping Drives to Library ...
    Mapping the Drives in the Library \\.\Changer0 failed. Error Code is: 0x80070001, Error Message is: Incorrect function.

Adding Standalone Drives ...
    Writing the Map File ...
    Drive Mapping Completed Successfully."

After completing this command, I returned to the DPM Management Console, performed a rescan/refresh but the drives did not appear.

Should I be manually mapping the Library and the Tape Drives?  If so, I thought that manual mapping was reserved for stand-alone drives?  Is there a specific procedure that I should be following to add these drives to DPM?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

OK - then that points the finger at "Atto Fiber bridge" - is there any way to eliminate that from the picture ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you actually run the tests, do they pass ?  Be sure a writable tape is in slot-0 then run:

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Hello Mike,

No.  The tests do not pass.  In fact, here are the results of the test you mentioned:

TEST CONFIGURATION:
    Testing library                           : \\.\Changer0
    Number of drives                          : 2
    Number of slots                           : 36
    Number of I/E ports                       : 0
    Number of media present in library        : 12
    Library supports barcode                  : Yes
    Using Non-Cleaner tape from slot         : 1
    Barcode for the Non-Cleaner tape         : A00235L3
    WARNING: Above mentioned media may get overwritten by this tool, You want to continue?[Y/N :Default(Y)]:y

Using Cleaner tape from slot             : 2
    Barcode for the Cleaner tape             : A00237L3
    WARNING: Cleaner tape is not having CLN barcode
    Result: 0 tests completed successfully, 4 failed

Would you like to submit error report? [Y/N :Default(Y)]:y

Submitted the error report successfully

Operation Failed....
    Error Code: 0x80070002, Error Message: The system cannot find the file specified.

The weird thing is, I have a writeable tape in slot-0, but from what I can gather, the tape is never mounted/dismounted in the tape drive(s).  Also, the DPM Management console shows slot-0 as "Empty" even though I have visually verified that a tape is in that slot.  I'm also uncertain what the "using cleaner tape from slot" is as well.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Hi,

The test seems to bail when it cannot find the drive in the library to use for the tests.  That is why you are not seeing any media movement.  It seems that Atto 2400 Fiber to SCSI bridge is not playing nice or we have a driver issue.

I'm not seeing any Qualstar products compatible with anything later that Windows 2003 - what are the drivers used for the tape library ?

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/results.aspx?text=qualstar&=Go&bCatID=1282&avc=10&ava=0&OR=5&chtext=&cstext=&csttext=&chbtext=

Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Hello Mike.  I appreciate your replies...

Well, I was running the Qualstar changer on our old DPM 2010 server which ran Windows 2008 R2 Standard...no problems there.  I did not have to use the Atto Fiber bridge, however.  It was directly attached via 320 SCSI.

The driver version is 2.0.0.6, dated 3/29/2007.  The driver files are "qfilter_amd64.sys" and "qlstamc_amd64.sys"

I did check this thread here Supported Tape Libraries for DPM 2012 and in the thread, it was stated:

"If your Tape library is compatible with the Windows Server OS it should work with DPM 2010/DPM2012."

The Qualstar RLS-8236 is listed among the changers that are compatible.

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

OK - then that points the finger at "Atto Fiber bridge" - is there any way to eliminate that from the picture ?

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hello,

Yeah, I am arriving at the same conclusion you are.  I've picked out another server to load DPM 2012 on.  I'll slap in a SCSI card, attach it and we'll see what happens.  I'll post back what the results are.

Appreciate your replies so far.

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:39 PM
  • So to update the thread:

As suspected, it was the Atto 2400 Fiber Bridge that was the problem, though I am still uncertain as to why.  The bridge showed all devices attached and mapped successfully, the DPM server saw the devices, etc, etc.  I suspect that it was the way the fiber bridge presented the changer and tape drives to the fabric though, as the bridge is essentially an open gateway.

Once I built and configured a new DPM server and removed the bridge from the equation, everything has worked with no issues at all.  I am very pleased so far.

Thanks Mike, for your replies.  I'll go ahead and mark your reply as an answer just as a "thank you."

Regards,

Mike

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:37 PM