none
server 2008r2 domain controller crash

Question

• I have DC and ADC with 2008r2

just now came to know that DC HDD crashed(dead)it wont recover,but I have c drive full backup.

Now how can I seize FSMO roles to ADC????

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:32 AM

Answers

just now came to know that DC HDD crashed(dead)it wont recover,but I have c drive full backup.

Hi,

Take note, you can perform seizing FSMO roles when you are sure that the operating system on the computer that originally owned a specific role no longer exists or has been reinstalled.

If you lost the DC (due a HDD crash), and you  have system state backup , you can try to restore it without seizing FSMO role.

If the restoration is failed , you can perform:

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

• Marked as answer by Ravi9347 Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Hi,
    1. Yes, you could seize FSMO roles when the DC is unavailable. After seizing roles, clean up the failed DC metadata.
    2. As far as I know, AD is not as smart as you said by now. After you seize the roles to ADC, ADC will automatically act as PDC, but transferring or seizing roles process still need to be done manually.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Ravi9347 Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:58 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:41 AM

All replies

Hi,

Take note, you can perform seizing FSMO roles when you are sure that the operating system on the computer that originally owned a specific role no longer exists or has been reinstalled.

If you lost the DC (due a HDD crash), and you  have system state backup , you can try to restore it without seizing FSMO role.

If the restoration is failed , you can perform:

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

• Marked as answer by Ravi9347 Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Thanks for your replay,

1. FSMO roles seizing is possible if DC is unavailable? if yes, when can I do this like before or after metadatacleanup DC records in ADC 

2.Why can not we make ADC as a DC by using automation process (like ADC unable to communicate with DC certain time roles seizing should happen automatic in back end) 

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:02 AM
  • Thanks for your replay,

1. FSMO roles seizing is possible if DC is unavailable? if yes, when can I do this like before or after metadatacleanup DC records in ADC 

2.Why can not we make ADC as a DC by using automation process (like ADC unable to communicate with DC certain time roles seizing should happen automatic in back end)

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Hi,
    1. Yes, you could seize FSMO roles when the DC is unavailable. After seizing roles, clean up the failed DC metadata.
    2. As far as I know, AD is not as smart as you said by now. After you seize the roles to ADC, ADC will automatically act as PDC, but transferring or seizing roles process still need to be done manually.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Ravi9347 Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:58 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:41 AM