Does SharePoint can be used like DB and displaying data like normal website in the same time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello SP experts,

I  am facing a problem and need your help. Recently, I am trying to use SharePoint 2010 as my db to store data, and at the same time , I also need this data displayed like a website so it will be ease to maintain.

The data structure mostly like:

ID  ParentID  ChildrenID  Title  Content 

1     null          2, 3,4         titile1  content1

2      1              5,6           title2   content2

But, this structure is not a friendly showing page. So, guys, any ideas? Please kindly help. Thanks.

Lisa Zhu [MSFT]

Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:56 AM

Answers

• External Lists is using the SharePoint UI and UX. The data just isn't stored in SharePoint.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Lisa Zhu Friday, January 3, 2014 9:37 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Lisa, SharePoint is a platform, not a database. If you need a database, and if you already have SharePoint, you also have some form of SQL Server. Now, THAT is a database. Why don't you use that?

SharePoint can present data, but it does not do well with data relationships. Your data sample in the question looks like there are one-to-many relationships involved.

Don't use SharePoint in this case. It's the wrong tool for the job.  You may get something to work, but it would involve a lot more effort than using a real database tool.

cheers, teylyn

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:58 AM

All replies

• You can use the list data sheet view to display your data..That has the structure pretty much like you have listed here..

Harish Kumar

Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:28 AM
  • SharePoint Lists are not like relational databases. If you need relationships, I would look to create a database with the necessary information, and leverage External Lists within SharePoint - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee558778(v=office.14).aspx.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:39 AM
  • Hello,

can you please provide the bigger picture of what you would like to achieve? You may have run into a dead end with focusing on a list; Don't get hung up on an individual list or how it displays. Describe what you want the web site to do.

What do you want the users to see? What will the users be able to click? What do you expect to happen then? Describe this without any reference to the SharePoint architecture or any other architecture. 

This way, we can get to the logical architecture before applying the SharePoint solution (if it suits).

cheers, teylyn

Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:41 AM
  • Thanks Harish  and Trevor. But, I think neither list nor external lists is  the great way to displaying data to web customer.

@Teylyn, I am trying to use SP as a db, that I can get data from SP and use this data to updaye my mobile(android)  project. And at the same time, I want this data can well show in SP like a website, that when user access the SP, they get a good UI.

For example:http://msdn.microsoft.com/dn338450#fbid=v3XyaiT1sNJ,  I hope my SP can show like the web page:

and I  also need easily get  the title, sub titles and contents. So, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Lisa Zhu [MSFT]

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:32 AM
  • External Lists is using the SharePoint UI and UX. The data just isn't stored in SharePoint.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Lisa, SharePoint is a platform, not a database. If you need a database, and if you already have SharePoint, you also have some form of SQL Server. Now, THAT is a database. Why don't you use that?

SharePoint can present data, but it does not do well with data relationships. Your data sample in the question looks like there are one-to-many relationships involved.

Don't use SharePoint in this case. It's the wrong tool for the job.  You may get something to work, but it would involve a lot more effort than using a real database tool.

cheers, teylyn

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:58 AM
  • Thanks Trevor, the external list can make me easily to operate data, but it can't give me a "web site"look.

Can these data displayed not like a table? I am total new in SP, thanks.

Thanks Tetylyn, maybe I should used the external list as Trevor suggested。Thanks for point me the right way. 

Lisa Zhu [MSFT]

Friday, January 3, 2014 3:06 AM