Best way to move WFE to new server RRS feed

• Question

• We have one web front end server and one sql server.  I want to simply move the existing web frotn end server to new hardware.  What is the easiest way to do this?  Also, the last admin did not patch the existing site to SP2.  If I install Sharepoint 2007 sp2 and attach it to databases that are on the original Sharepoint 2007 RTM version, will it upgrade the database schema or will this cause problems?  We only have on site colelction with about 13 GB of data, its not a complicated environment but there is a lot of data there.  I want to do this as simply as possible, thanks.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:02 PM

Answers

• Upgrading or Patch SP2 will involving changing the version numbers in Sql Server. You cannot simply upgrade the W.F.E server. The upgrade process will definitely involve upgrading sql server to newer version. 

The databases will definitely get upgraded. You will not be able to point the new installation of SharePoint to existing databases. 

If you have to follow that option, then you will have to upgrade your "old" or existing server farm to SP2. 

Thanks

V

V
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:49 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:43 PM

All replies

• The basic three steps that need to followed while moving to new hardware are. 

1. Set up the new server farm

Make sure the versions of database are the same in this step.

2. Move the databases to the new server farm

Since you don't have many webapplications, in fact just one, you could do an stsadm backup of the web application and restore it on the new web app. And then Apply SP2 along with all the other cumulative updates. 

You will have two farms running at the same time at this point providing redundancy. 

3. Shut down the old server farm

That is probably the best approach I would prefer. You can always read the following technet article.. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725(office.12).aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks

V

V
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Thanks - I dont need to move the databases off the existing server, I just need to move the Web front end.  And I dont have the original CD, only the key for it, so I was wondering if I setup a new installation of of Sharepoint 2007 with sp2 in it, which is all you can download now from MS, will the databases get upgraded?  Am I able to point the new installation of the Sharepoint application to the existing database server and have it upgrade the databases and work?
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Upgrading or Patch SP2 will involving changing the version numbers in Sql Server. You cannot simply upgrade the W.F.E server. The upgrade process will definitely involve upgrading sql server to newer version. 

The databases will definitely get upgraded. You will not be able to point the new installation of SharePoint to existing databases. 

If you have to follow that option, then you will have to upgrade your "old" or existing server farm to SP2. 

Thanks

V

V
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:49 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:43 PM
  • At server level, This quite easiest method

If you are using VM then clone(take snapshot of the WFE) the restore it on a new machine. shutdown the old Web front end server. Make sure that you have same ip and server name.

Later you can apply the patches.

Thank you,

regards

Hema.,

Hema

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:30 PM