LIS 3.4 is not dedecting the Synethic NIC in Redhat 5.5 with Hyperv2012 RRS feed

• Question

• we have just updated LIS 2.1 to 3.4 to take advantage of SMP processor so that we can assign more than 4 VCPU in RHEL 5.5 64bit

once I upgarde or Install LIS 3.4 i am able to see more than 4 VCPU but my NIC card stop working and giving error like that MAC address is diffrent then expected.

we have reinstalled and even try to give static MAC address of legacy network but still problem presists so not able to install Synethentic NIC in RHEL 5.5

please help us !!!

Friday, May 3, 2013 4:08 AM

Answers

• Thx Michael ; it will save my entire business money and can hold migration plan to vmware as i love to remain with hyperV.

• Marked as answer by Ansul1 Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:01 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:00 PM

All replies

• we have just updated LIS 2.1 to 3.4 to take advantage of SMP processor so that we can assign more than 4 VCPU in RHEL 5.5 64bit

once I upgarde or Install LIS 3.4 i am able to see more than 4 VCPU but my NIC card stop working and giving error like that MAC address is diffrent then expected.

we have reinstalled and even try to give static MAC address of legacy network but still problem presists so not able to install Synethentic NIC in RHEL 5.5

~

Try EL 5.9 -- all  work as need?

~

If You can use EL 5.9 in prodaction -- use it, if no in any case try EL 5.9 and write how it work

~

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:39 AM
  • Victor

Thx for reply but my application works only on RHEL5.5 so let me know anything can be done on the same OS.

Friday, May 3, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Victor

Thx for reply but my application works only on RHEL5.5 so let me know anything can be done on the same OS.

~

No problem :-)

~

> but my application works only on RHEL5.5

I'm undestand -- very often vendor of non-system software write in documentation "supported on RHEL 5.5"

~

IMHO, _try_ Youre software on RHEL 5.9 , If software _really_ not work then need think as run RHEL 5.5

If work then need write to suppport team of "vendor of non-system software" for _detail_ testing

~

In any case install _pure_ RHEL 5.9 as _etalon_ VM

-- \boot on IDE

-- "\", SWAP on SCSI

-- 1 . . N syntetic LANCard ( no/zero legacy LANCard)

With this setting -- OS work as need

Friday, May 3, 2013 1:49 PM
  • My application depends upon kernel version so there is no chance to change the kernel vesion and its required lot of development for the same.

If any solution is there , then it will be great otherwise we need to take a chance to  move with Vmware 5.1 which I dont want to do that.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:54 AM
  • My application depends upon kernel version so there is no chance to change the kernel vesion and its required lot of development for the same.

If any solution is there , then it will be great otherwise we need to take a chance to  move with Vmware 5.1 which I dont want to do that.

~

> migrate to Vmware 5.1

~

~

Are You shue what EL 5.5 ( 2010-03-22 ) can work as need on VMware vSphere 5.1 (  build 5.1.0-799735 2012-08-02 ) ?

~

~

[ VVM: other Q moved to my next msg.]

• Edited by Victor Miasnikov Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:54 AM move yet another question
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:04 AM
  • yes it will work vmware 5.1 have given certification to RHEL 5.5

any how it looks like we dont have any choice here or need to wait for latest LIS Pack

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:16 AM
  • >>> migrate to Vmware 5.1

VVM>  Are You shue what EL 5.5 ( 2010-03-22 ) can work as need on VMware vSphere 5.1 (  build 5.1.0-799735 2012-08-02 ) ?

yes it will work vmware 5.1 have given certification to RHEL 5.5

any how it looks like we dont have any choice here or need to wait for latest LIS Pack

~

> vmware 5.1 have given certification to RHEL 5.5

And RHEL 6.4 certified for Win Server 2012 , but . . .

as example: setup .iso of Win Server 2012 work with error on VMWare 5.0

This fixed in 5.1, but . . .

~

In any case, how about:

~

My application depends upon kernel version so there is no chance to change the kernel vesion and its required lot of development for the same.

~

> application depends upon kernel version

~

Are You have source code of corresponded *.ko ?

If no ( or "in any case" ) You can backport source code related Hyper-V from EL 5.9 to early EL ( for example, EL 5.5)

and compile kernel

~

~

> is no chance to change the kernel vesion

~

i.e. You work _without_ latest security HotFixes?

~

P.S.

> is there any roadmap of LIS support RHEL 5.5 ?

I'm don't know

• Edited by Victor Miasnikov Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:18 PM Add {{ roadmap of LIS }}
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:51 AM
  • is there any roadmap of LSI new pack where it will support RHEL 5.5 ?
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:50 PM
  • No official roadmap at the moment.  But supporting RHEL/CentOS 5.5 and 5.6 is something that we're actively looking at.   If it turns out to be feasible, the timeline probably won't be too far away -- perhaps late summer this year.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Thx Michael ; it will save my entire business money and can hold migration plan to vmware as i love to remain with hyperV.

• Marked as answer by Ansul1 Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:01 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:00 PM

~

To ALL : Look on _right_ answer:

When You use *.ko with closed/non-open_source source code , then

Backport source code related Hyper-V from EL 5.9 to early EL ( for example, EL 5.5)

and compile kernel

~

P.S. Already write about this: see msg. May 07, 2013 9:51 AM

Friday, May 24, 2013 6:19 AM