none
Disabling Protected Mode on Internet Zone fixes issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm finding that our users are experiencing issues accessing full functionality from multiple web sites and when I disable Protected Mode, their issue is resolved.  I have some specific cases that I would like to share:

1. A website which is secured.  The Windows security dialog appears and prompts the user to enter credentials (Not an HTML form...this is a windows dialog).  If protected Mode is enabled on the Internet zone, then this prompt never appears and therefore the users cannot sign-in and gain access to the site.

2. OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online are accessed using ADFS for authentication.  The sites were attempting to load but simply timing out until I disabled Protected Mode on the Internet site.  Then the both sites (accessed via https://portal.office.com) would completely load and be usable.

3. There are others but now that I think of it, they appear to be redundant.  It seems with Protected Mode enabled, authentication does not function properly on multiple sites.  We have tried circumventing this by adding some of these sites to the Proxy Exceptions List and also configuring policy to treat all Proxy exceptions as Intranet Zone.  Protected Mode is disabled on the Intranet zone.  However, it seems counterintuitive to have Internet sites added to the Intranet Zone or to Bypass the proxy server to access them.  So I would love to know where I'm going wrong with our configuration of Internet Explorer.  We are getting a lot of pressure to support multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox)...but my preferred approach is to make all sites work with Internet Explorer.  Why?  because we have the ability to manage it.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:26 PM