none
How can I make IE 11 as default browser for windows 10 RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Xenia Qian,

Based on your description, we could make IE11 as default browser by changing default apps in Windows 10. Please refer to the steps:

Click Start Menu, navigate to Settings>System>Default apps, scroll down to Web browser, click and select Internet Explorer.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:01 PM

All replies

• Xenia,

Follow below steps to set IE 11 as default browser in windows 10

1. Press start button           

2. Enter Default programs, and then tap or click Default Programs.

3. Tap or click Set your default programs, go to Web browser section.

4. Select Internet Explorer from the list of programs.

5. Tap or click Set this program as default, and then tap or click OK.

Ripon Kundu

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:07 AM
  • Ripon Kundu,Thank you! Sorry, I did't describe clearly.I  wan't  be modified by the registry
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:57 AM
  • 

I hope you might want to set it for multiple users through Group Policy. Procedure of setting registry is a bit longwinded.

First, you have to manually set Internet Explorer as the default on a reference machine. Click Start and then Settings > System > Default apps. Under Web browser, you can configure Internet Explorer as the default.

Second, you have to export this setting to an XML file with the Dism tool that is shipped with Windows 10

Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:\\server\share\defaultassociations.xml

This command exports all file associations on your reference computer to an XML file on a network share. Thus, you have to make sure that you didn’t modify other app associations that you don’t want to deploy in your network. You can also use the method described here to set other browsers as the default browser.

Third, you can deploy this XML file with the Group Policy Set a default associations configuration file, which is located in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer. Unfortunately, no user configuration exists for this policy.

Ripon Kundu

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hi Xenia Qian,

Based on your description, we could make IE11 as default browser by changing default apps in Windows 10. Please refer to the steps:

Click Start Menu, navigate to Settings>System>Default apps, scroll down to Web browser, click and select Internet Explorer.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you in a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,
    Tao

Friday, February 26, 2016 8:51 AM
  • As everyone has figured out, the above process will not work in the latest build of windows 10.

Bill

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:45 PM
  • This procedure will not work either. MSFT does not want a windows 10 machine to use IE 11.

Bill

• Edited by bmac Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Tao should reply with a procedure that works. I assume that must be done through the registry

Bill

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:48 PM