none
Home Network - Connect a PC not in the domain to PC in Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Basically I have this home network where I work from with a WE2012 which is mostly a file server but also acts as a SQL Server. I have my home office Win 10 PC as a member of that domain, that is wired, and this work just fine.

I also have Windows 7 PC which is a gaming PC which is not part of the WE2012 Domain but is linked to the Internet using the same Wifi connection.

What I was hoping to do is be able to share files between the 2 PCs and possibly even play LAN based games

Both of the PCs can see eachother in Windows Explorer but when I try to connect it asks for User Password for their respective domain. Work PC > Game PC  it says 'Domain: Serverdomain' while for Game PC > Work PC says 'Domain: Gamepcname'

Is there any way for then to talk to each without have the Games PC become part of the WE2012.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks Steve

Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try this:  create a user on each computer with the same name and password as the other.  When asked for credentials, give the "foreign" credentials in the form:  computer-name\user password.

IME, once you have done this the first time you will not be challenged for access to shares in future.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:59 AM