none
File saving problems with master file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Myself and my colleges am having some issues on saving a master project.

We have just changed all the sub project, project calendars from standard to 24hr. Since we have done this we are able to open and save projects individually with no problems, however when we open the master project (also changed its calendar) and subsequently open one of the sub projects and then save, project crashes. If we open the master project and then save without opening any sub projects everything is fine.

We are still saving to 2003 as some people in the organisation are still to migrate to 2010.

Any help much appreciated

Errors listed as below:-

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: WINPROJ.EXE

Application Version: 14.0.6023.1000

Application Timestamp: 4d7a60be

Fault Module Name: WINPROJ.EXE

Fault Module Version: 14.0.6023.1000

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d7a60be

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 004295f5

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 46a0

Additional Information 2: 46a056043c74b160c5928f4d1be5584b

Additional Information 3: 203d

Additional Information 4: 203daad6398a0f8913f45b592756160e

Thanks, Steve

• Edited by Steve.D.H Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:05 PM

Answers

• Steve TRW,

Did it work okay before you changed the calendars?

You indicate you are using Project 2010 and saving to Project 2003 but you didn't mention whether you have the latest updates for both versions. If you do not, or are not sure, go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, and download and install the latest service pack and cumulative updates for both Project 2010 and Project 2003. Ignore the reference to Project Server in the general guidance. I don't know why they list it that way, the updates apply to all versions of Project.

If your versions are fully updated and you still have a crashing problem, it is most likely because your link structure between the master and subproject is corrupt. Master/subproject file structure are prone to corruption if not created and maintained with the utmost discipline. Switching between Project versions is not a recommended process even in the absence of a linked file structure. I suggest you properly unlink the structure and then rebuild your master. You might want to consider doing that each time. It may be a pain but it will give you a better chance at avoiding future corruption. To make it less of a pain the process can be automated with some VBA.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Steve.D.H Monday, December 19, 2011 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Steve,

Keep in mind that you most likely have corruption and will need to implement my suggestion to get rid of it. Applying updates will only help reduce the chance of corruption in the future, it will not get rid of existing corruption.

John

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:59 PM

All replies

• Steve TRW,

Did it work okay before you changed the calendars?

You indicate you are using Project 2010 and saving to Project 2003 but you didn't mention whether you have the latest updates for both versions. If you do not, or are not sure, go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, and download and install the latest service pack and cumulative updates for both Project 2010 and Project 2003. Ignore the reference to Project Server in the general guidance. I don't know why they list it that way, the updates apply to all versions of Project.

If your versions are fully updated and you still have a crashing problem, it is most likely because your link structure between the master and subproject is corrupt. Master/subproject file structure are prone to corruption if not created and maintained with the utmost discipline. Switching between Project versions is not a recommended process even in the absence of a linked file structure. I suggest you properly unlink the structure and then rebuild your master. You might want to consider doing that each time. It may be a pain but it will give you a better chance at avoiding future corruption. To make it less of a pain the process can be automated with some VBA.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Thanks John

Yes all worked fine before we changed the calendars. I will check for updates.

Steve

Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Steve,

Keep in mind that you most likely have corruption and will need to implement my suggestion to get rid of it. Applying updates will only help reduce the chance of corruption in the future, it will not get rid of existing corruption.

John

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:59 PM