Exchange 2016 multi-tenant - Exchange Online Hybrid Mail-flow RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am looking to migrate part of our MSP multi-tenant Exchange 2016 environment to Exchange online. 

We have multiple clients in this Exchange organization, but will only migrate one to Exchange online for now. My question concerns the mail-flow for this org. 

Can I have MX record the client domain for the client that is migrating on Exchange Online, pointing to Exchange online and have all other client domain MX records pointing to on-premise Exchange?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Kind regards,

Herman Bonnie

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hello.

Not different one or multi-tenant member Exchange Organization you have.

1. You need sync AD on premise sync with Azure AD.

Each object only once in an Azure AD tenant 

2. Migrate email using the Exchange cutover method

You create connector coexistence for one name domain with O365, and after finish migrate all mailbox, you can change MX to O365. 

Set up connectors to route mail between Office 365 and your own email servers  

SFP record need update, after when you create coexistence, before migrate mailbox. 

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Monday, October 14, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I still feel we might be missing the point, let me explain further.

The setup we are looking at is:

There will be a hybrid exchange environment. There are 4 domains: abc.com, def.com, ghi.com and jkl.com.

Mailboxes with email addresses in the abc.com and def.com domains will be hosted in Exchange online. MX records for these domains will point to Exchange online EOP.

Mailboxes with email addresses in the ghi.com and jkl.com domains will be hosted on-prem in Exchange 2016. MX records for these domains will point to on-prem Exchange 2016.

We are planning to keep this Hybrid environment in this setup for the foreseeable future.

Will this setup work? Will I be able to have abc and def send out via Exchange online and have ghi and jkl send out through on-prem Exchange?

If I have all mailboxes in all 4 domains receive email through Exchange online, will I need to buy EOP licenses for all these mailboxes?

I have tried finding some documentation on this setup, but have failed so far.

Thank you for your answer.

Monday, October 14, 2019 8:14 PM
  • Hi Herman Bonnie,

Are all the domains entity domains? Whether there are any accepted domains configured in the entity domain?

How many online tenants do you have?

If all the domains are entity domains, two hosted on-premise, and users in the other two domains hosted online, the setup can work properly.

If you are using Office 365, EOP is included in E1 and E3 plans.

You can also refer to the following documents:

Topologies for Azure AD Connect

Transport routing in Exchange hybrid deployments

EOP general FAQ

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:21 AM
  • Thank you Joyce, I'm not sure what you mean by entity domains? The domains are currently all configured in a single AD forest, and single Exchange organization.

I don't see the scenario of mx records for domain A pointing to on-prem and mx records for domain B pointing to on-prem but I can't think of a reason why that would not work. I'll see if we can test.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hello,

yes its working.( i have done this configuration about 3-4 times).

As oleg said, you have to sync all user with azure ad (all user, to construct the correct OAB on O365)

(take care if other user dont no have alias from this domain)

you have to make full hybrid configuration.

when hybrid is done, migrate your mailboxe.

change MX, Change SPF, change autodicoscover.

On Exhange server, put the accepted domain for the migrated domain to internal relay.

normaly, hybrid configuration will create correct send connector (onprem and o365) but you have to check if its ok.

Olivier.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

Do suggestions above help? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Thanks Joyce, I am currently doing research and not implementing as of yet.

I will come back after implementing and mark a solution if it was present. If not, I will update this thread with the solution.

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Waiting for your feedback about this issue, share your updates here if you have any progress on it anytime!

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:54 AM