Hyper-V Server 2012 - Added to Domain - VM in saved state RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just recently added my Hyper-V Server 2012 to the company domain, and now the VMs on this Hyper-V server are both stuck in a "Saved" state. I attempted to start the VM and I get an error stating that the VM could not initialize. I removed the Hyper-V Server 2012 from the domain after this happened, since that was the only change that I had made. Still no luck.

Some notes:

I first noticed this issue yesterday when I attempted to remote into a device from home. I came into the office, and found that the two VM's on this server were both in a "Saved" state.

I have made sure that the VHD still exists, and it does.

I have spent the past couple hours trying to figure out what caused this, and how to fix it but I am unable to find anything relevant. Does anyone else have any ideas?

• Edited by Naratov52 Sunday, June 3, 2018 9:02 PM
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 6:07 PM

Answers

• I'd copy off the two VHDs to another host, build identical VMs then when you get to the step Connect Virtual Hard Disk choose Use an existing pointed to the VHD you copied.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Naratov52 Monday, June 18, 2018 4:59 PM
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:17 PM

All replies

• Joining the host to a domain should be fine to do. To the issue, something here might help.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/rmilne/2014/01/15/hyper-v-could-not-initialize-could-not-create-or-access-saved-state-file/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 6:31 PM
  • Unfortunately I've already read that article. I don't believe that this is a permissions issue as I don't receive any message stating that it could not access the saved state file as that article mentions.

Here's the full error message:

PS C:\> start-vm -name server

start-vm : 'Server' could not initialize. (Virtuale machine ID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) At line:1 char:1 + start-vm -name Server + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.VMTask:VMTask) [Start-VM], VirtualizationOperationFailedException +FullyQualifiedErrorId : OperationFailed,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.StartVMCommand

• Edited by Naratov52 Sunday, June 3, 2018 6:47 PM
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Might check the event logs for more related errors. Also try export / import?

Sunday, June 3, 2018 6:55 PM
  • I'm also unable to connect to the Hyper-V server remotely anymore, so the only options I have are to use CMD and PowerShell right now.

What do you mean when you say export/import?

Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:00 PM
  • I'd try logging on to host locally. From the Hyper-V management console you can export / import virtual machines. 

Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:04 PM
  • Hi!

What does your Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker-Admin event log say?

Are all VMs stuck in "Saved State"? 

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:11 PM
  • This is Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. There is no GUI. I only have CMD and PowerShell. This is not Windows Server 2012 R2. It is just Hyper-V, similar to Core, but just Hyper-V.

I am logged onto the host locally, but I have no GUI so there is no Hyper-V Management Console.

Leon,

Yes, all VM's are in the Saved state. I can type Get-VM to see the status of the VM's.

• Edited by Naratov52 Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:17 PM
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:15 PM
  • I'd copy off the two VHDs to another host, build identical VMs then when you get to the step Connect Virtual Hard Disk choose Use an existing pointed to the VHD you copied.

• Marked as answer by Naratov52 Monday, June 18, 2018 4:59 PM
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:17 PM
  • Alright, I will give that a shot. Thanks.
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Do you have any idea what might have caused this, so that I can try to prevent it in the future?

Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:39 PM
  • No, I don't have a clue. One-offs like this are difficult to diagnose, especially without access to log files. As far as I know 2012 R2 is a very stable OS when patched fully so I would not expect a reoccurrence. 

Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Where and how are your Hyper-V virtual machines stored?

I suppose you have checked the storage where they are stored that there's enough space available and also the RAM on the Hyper-V host?

This is indeed a very odd scenario, I'm for one very curious to find what caused this.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:53 PM
  • They're stored on the server machine itself. There's no SAN or anything. There is definitely enough RAM and disk space.
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 8:49 PM
  • After some thinking you could check the following:

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service requires a certificate that “Subject Name” matches the FQDN of the machine,  since you joined a domain the FQDN will change.

You could recreate the certificate to solve the issue.

Open MMC, add the Certificates Snap-In, select Service Account > Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service. Then expand Personal > Certificates. Delete the certificate and restart VMM service.

Check if the certificate is created. Then try again.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:22 PM
  • Thank you for the help. I ended up just creating a copy of the VHD and spinning up a new VM with that VHD. This solved the issue.
    • Marked as answer by Naratov52 Monday, June 18, 2018 4:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Naratov52 Monday, June 18, 2018 4:59 PM
    Monday, June 18, 2018 4:58 PM
  • Glad to hear.

Monday, June 18, 2018 10:00 PM