"Invisible" Linux Guest on W2K8 Hyper-V host RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking in my environment for a virtual Linux host that, according to its MAC address, is hosted on a Hyper-V machine running W2K8.  The guest responds to ping and and MAC shows up in the range of MACs assigned in the Virtual Network Manager.

Yet, the machine is not visible in the Hyper-V manager (which is only holding six guests).

I'm thinking that in some manner the guest is hidden, but the Virtual Machine folders show nothing strange.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hmm, interesting.

If you're still stuck, you'll probably have better results and more eyes on it posting in the Hyper-V Server forum here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv&filter=alllanguages

This forum is for Virtual Server 2005, a product not related to Hyper-V. 

• Marked as answer by Ward Galanis Monday, October 28, 2019 6:40 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:02 PM

All replies

• If you don't see it in the Hyper-V Manager, it's not on that server.

It could be any system running Hyper-V (Windows 10 system), do you have managed switches to see what port it's connecting to?

Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:54 PM
  • Yes, we have managed switches and the port we see the MAC of interest on is connected to the Hyper-V box.  It may be that one our "development geniuses" created a VM inside a VM that picked up that address.  Unfortunately "Elvis has left the building".

The VM is running Linux from what I can see with Apache Tomcat as a web server since the only ports open on the VM are SSH and port 3000 for the Web App (Redmine).

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:03 PM
  • Hmm, interesting.

If you're still stuck, you'll probably have better results and more eyes on it posting in the Hyper-V Server forum here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv&filter=alllanguages

This forum is for Virtual Server 2005, a product not related to Hyper-V. 

• Marked as answer by Ward Galanis Monday, October 28, 2019 6:40 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:02 PM
  • OK, off to the other forum. 

Thanks @essjae, I'll mark your answer as correct.

Redone question in the correct forum

Thursday, October 24, 2019 5:10 PM