dvd writer detected as simple DVD drive on windows 2008 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, i had windows 2003 installed in the server and now i upgraded to 2008 SP2. Now whenever i try to use the DVD writer it says there are no writters detected. I can read DVD CD from the driver but i cannot write. I have used different writter software but no luck.
    can you pelase tell me what should I do?
    • Changed type Tim Quan Friday, October 16, 2009 2:13 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Please try methods below to troubleshoot this issue:

Method 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Method 2 Delete Filter Drivers

====================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Method 3 Reinstall the CD/DVD writer

===============================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click your CD/DVD writer and click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer and it will reinstall the DVD writer.

What’s the result now?

If the issue persists, you may contact the DVD writer’s manufacturer to confirm whether this DVD writer is compatible with Windows Server 2008.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, October 16, 2009 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:28 AM

All replies

• You might check the manufacturer's web site for updated drivers.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Hello,

Please try methods below to troubleshoot this issue:

Method 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Method 2 Delete Filter Drivers

====================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Method 3 Reinstall the CD/DVD writer

===============================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click your CD/DVD writer and click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer and it will reinstall the DVD writer.

What’s the result now?

If the issue persists, you may contact the DVD writer’s manufacturer to confirm whether this DVD writer is compatible with Windows Server 2008.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, October 16, 2009 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:28 AM