Sequencer Error - Unable to save package RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to package Perspective Search v10.3 on a Windows 7.1 Sequencing Box using Microsoft Virtualization Application

Sequencer - APP-V 5 SP2 Hotix 4 (Same error occurs on Hotfix 3)

I begin creating a new package, run the Perspective Search msi installer (both custom & default), the msi installs correctly, I then choose Finished and click Next and get the below error:

An attempt to prepare the package for saving failed (Error: 6629309790487068677)

This event appears in the Microsoft\AppV\Sequencer\Admin log

I have searched for this error to no avail. The closest I read was to do with shared _rel files but I have searched for these and they don't exist.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

I also checked the scratch directory but couldnt find anything there to help and not sure if I should be looking there anyway.

Cheers

Michael

Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:34 AM

Answers

• Possibly the installer creates a bad/wrong shortcut during installation. Remove all of them, try to continue, and add them afterwards.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Thankyou...that forced me to go looking in different places. In All Users/Start Menu there was a folder displaying it's name like a GUID

{6CDE19FA-C32C-4ADA-BA4B-0E8 E5ABDF7FD)

It has some files from the installer relating to offline use. After deleting the shortcuts I tried deleting this one and voila....preogressed to the next stage in the sequencing. I will need to work on this a bit longer but thanks for the tip.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:26 PM

All replies

• Possibly the installer creates a bad/wrong shortcut during installation. Remove all of them, try to continue, and add them afterwards.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Thankyou...that forced me to go looking in different places. In All Users/Start Menu there was a folder displaying it's name like a GUID

{6CDE19FA-C32C-4ADA-BA4B-0E8 E5ABDF7FD)

It has some files from the installer relating to offline use. After deleting the shortcuts I tried deleting this one and voila....preogressed to the next stage in the sequencing. I will need to work on this a bit longer but thanks for the tip.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:26 PM
  • My sequencer will simply crash with "An error was encountered while trying to prepare the package for saving. Please check the event log for more details" (translating from Dutch here so I hope I got it right) "Er is een fout opgetreden bij het voorbereiden van het opslaan van het pakket. Raadpleeg het gebeurtenislogboekbestand voor meer informatie."

I am not yet finding the culprit but at least I know I am not alone... Thanks for the pointer.

Friday, December 19, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Ok, there was a compressed (!) folder named like a GUID {xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx} in c:\programdata\<manufacturer> that had an administrative MSI install in it. The application is running perfectly without that so I kicked it from the machine before completing the snapshot.

Problem solved!

Friday, December 19, 2014 2:11 PM