Mouse freezes several times a minute, sometimes freezes for a long time + keyboard freeze, then computer freezes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having a very annoying problem where my mouse will freeze (completely unable to move/click/scroll) for a short time fairly often. Sometimes when this happens it will freeze for a long time and my keyboard will also freeze, and then the only thing I can do is press the restart button on my computer. Sometimes when this happens I hear the sound of something being unplugged from the USB (at least I think that's the sound) when the mouse unfreezes, but not 100% of the time. Mouse and keyboard came with my prebuilt Dell computer, and they are both USB. I have wireless headphones also connected via USB that work 100% of the time, even when the mouse and keyboard freeze, and I've tried switching the mouse and the headset's USB locations, with nothing different happening. There have been some old threads on this that I've seen but nothing as worked so far.

Thanks

• Changed type Yolanda Zhu Friday, February 13, 2015 2:31 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:03 AM

Answers

• So I found an old mouse and used it for a while, it seems like the problem was due to the mouse. I've ordered a new mouse and I'm pretty sure the problem will be gone for good once I get rid of the mouse that was having the problem. Thanks for the help.
    • Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, February 13, 2015 2:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, February 16, 2015 8:41 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:59 PM

All replies

• Verify your power settings in the control panel.

Check the event viewer for errors. Please let us know.

Try disabling the hibernation feature.

Check your BIOS version.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:09 AM
  • Thanks for the reply

I tried messing with power settings to make sure windows will not disable/power save the USB ports, but I kept getting freezing

BIOS version: A03 (is that what you were looking for?)

I'm not sure how to use event viewer. 

Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:55 PM
  • Miles to use the event viewer:

1. Click Start

2. Right Click Computer

3. Select manage

4. Under system tools, expand event viewer

5. Expand Windows Logs

6. Click system -- check here for any errors

From your description it sounds like your USB drivers are corrupted. Have you tried updating them or reinstalling them from the device manager?

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:00 PM
  • The only error that I had in event viewer was this:

Error   DistributedCOM   10016   None

I saw it around 10+ times over the past two days.

I've tried updating my USB drivers (USB root hub, is that right?) but they are up to date according to windows. I tried uninstalling it, rebooting and plugging something in and it downloaded the drivers but nothing changed.

EDIT: I tried another mouse (wireless with USB connector) and got the same exact problem, so I guess it's a USB issue. I'm going to try to uninstall/reinstall my USB drivers and I'll report back if it's fixed

EDIT2: Uninstalling the USB things like "root hub" in device manager and then restarting did not work.

EDIT3: The most recent time it happened, every USB connected device stopped working, including my headset which previously would work regardless of the mouse messing up.

• Edited by MilesV64 Friday, February 6, 2015 6:03 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:24 PM
  • Hi MilesV64,

Did this issue occur before ?Are you using a USB hub ? If use a USB hub ,please plug in these devices into the machine directly to have a check.

Someone has tried the following tips to resolve the similar issue,I hope this will be useful to you .
    Device Manager, to Universal Serial Bus controllers.  Then double-click each of the USB Root Hub entries, go to the Power Management tab, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

If the issue occured when we plug in the devices into the machine directly .
    First of all ,I would recommend you to run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Hardware and Sound\Hardware and Devices

Then try to update the mouse and keyboard driver from the device manager .We may need to download the driver from the manufacturer website for the devices .

Apart from the system logs , please check the applications logs for any related information ,too.

Best regards

Friday, February 6, 2015 6:41 AM
  • The issue has never happened before it started (3 days ago)

The USB ports I'm using are 2 in the back of the computer, and 2 in the front of the computer. Moving the mouse's USB to each one did nothing. 

I saw that somewhere else and checked that but it was already unchecked. 

I ran the troubleshooter and it said that the troubleshooter made changes to your computer, and in the box said: Problems found:  Hardware changes might not have been detected. I'm not sure what that means but I'll report back if it seems to have fixed the problem.

When I tried to update drivers for my mouse it just said that I already had the best drivers.

I looked through the application logs and found several WMI (Event ID: 10) errors and one application hang error (Event ID: 1002)

Thanks for the help so far

EDIT: Still freezing frequently.

• Edited by MilesV64 Saturday, February 7, 2015 4:38 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 4:10 PM
  • So I found an old mouse and used it for a while, it seems like the problem was due to the mouse. I've ordered a new mouse and I'm pretty sure the problem will be gone for good once I get rid of the mouse that was having the problem. Thanks for the help.
    • Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, February 13, 2015 2:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, February 16, 2015 8:41 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:59 PM
  • Miles,

Glad you got it figured out. Please remember to mark your post as answer. This is beneficial to others that may have similar issues.

Monday, February 9, 2015 1:45 PM