none
Hub Rule and Journaling Rule (Out of Office and Undeliverables) RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an issue where a hosted org has Journaling enabled and a hub transport rule or rules enabled at the same time.  The journals are being sent to a 3<sup>rd</sup> party and everything is working fine without the hub rules enabled.  The journals are being received by the 3<sup>rd</sup> party.  If they have a mailbox that is setup for forwarding to another account that is inside the org that will work fine as well.  There seems to be an issue when we enable a hub transport rule in addition to the journaling and forwarding.  When the hub transport rule is enabled with Journaling enabled, a external user will get a bounce back message when trying to send to the user that has forwarding enabled.  This happens regardless of what is defined in the hub transport rule.    The error the sender receives is:

<FORWARDED ADDRESS>

Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

<Receiver Address>

Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

<FORWARDED ADDRESS>

#< #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Transport rules loop count exceeded> #SMTP#

<Receiver Address>

#< #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Transport rules loop count exceeded> #SMTP#

In addition, if users enable Out of Office when the hub transport rule/Journal rule are enabled, the sender will never receive it.  I have tried this with multiple organizations and it will impact them the same.

EXAMPLE

Org1 is setup on our Hosted Exchange environment and  has journaling enabled to send to archive@thirdparty.com

Sending and receiving internal and externally has no problem.  OOF and forwarding work fine.

I then setup user1@org1.com to forward and keep a copy to user2@org1.com.

A user called partner1@partner.com sends an email to user1@org1.com.  Both user1 and user2@org1.com get the message.

I then create a hub transport rule for Org1 called Rule1.  This rule is setup so anything received from bob@isp.com gets sent to manager for approval.

The same user partner1@partner.com sends the same email to user1@org1.com.  Partner1 will get a undeliverable that is listed above.

If any user in Org1 has his/her OOF enabled, the sender will not received the OOF message.

If I disable the hub rule or the journal rule, the sender will get the OOF and forwarding will work.

It looks like this person is having the same issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010hosters/thread/671b7125-530d-451e-9b93-759a54cf53fa

I would appreciate any assistance with this.  Thank you.

Mike

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• Mike, based on the other thrad, I think this is a known issue. Call in to support and ask for an interim fix for the issue described in KB2637915. You should not be charged if this turns out to be that bug.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Read this stroy

http://worldofexchange.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/a-bug-in-ms-exchange-2010-sp1-hosted/

Grey is right, they didn't charged us!

Thx Grey for your help on that issue.

Monday, January 9, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Mike,

Could you possibly email this hotfix to me? It doesnt appear to be available for download and I have the exact same problem which I need to sort for a client we are hosting. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Rgds,
    Richard

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Read this stroy

http://worldofexchange.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/a-bug-in-ms-exchange-2010-sp1-hosted/

Grey is right, they didn't charged us!

Thx Grey for your help on that issue.

Could you please send the hotfix to me too? I also have the same problem. My email is dragomir.denev@gmail.com. Thank you very much
    Friday, March 30, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Holy $#!7
    Thank you! Thank you!

I've been banging my head against a wall trying to fix this issue for the past month! Could you please, please email me the hotfix? You can send it to administrator{at}alceryes{dot}com.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:44 PM
  • any interim updates you are sent might not work for you. IU's are different depending on what you have, SP1, SP2, SP1 RU1 etc. You'd be better calling into support and requesting it, or waiting for us to ship it, rather than use an IU from another customer.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads up but I have the issue that support can't find the article number KB2637915 so even when I do ring in they can't help me get the fix for the exact setup we've got.

Any chance of you getting the IU posted and / or a published KB article number we can quote please.

Regards

Barry

Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:13 AM
  • Barry, the fix is included in SP2 RU4 which will is the next 2010 update due to ship. The best thing to do is to watch out for that.
    • Proposed as answer by BarryWiggins Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:25 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Thanks Greg ...

We were looking at binning sp1 /hosting off anyway to switch to sp2 so this just adds a further reason to do so.

Regards

Barry

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:27 PM