none
Outlook Express SMTP/SSL does not remember passwords across sessions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using SteadyState 2.5 on about 30 computers; connected to internet with various ISP's.  With one ISP (sympatico.ca) requires Outlook Express to use SSL authentication on smtp.  POP3 account  does not require SSL authentication.

Outlook Express under SteadyState: setup account and everything works smoothly until we exit Outlook Express and restart.  Outlook Express prompts for *BOTH* POP3 and SMTP passwords.  In both cases the "Remember password" box is enabled and greyed out.  If I enter the correct  passwords; messages are processed properly, but Outlook Express does not remember the passwords.

In order to determine if SteadyState was causing this problem; I setup email account in Outlook Express under Admin account on same compueter.  Send/receive works all the time.  I then export the account information; logout, login as user controlled by SteadyState, then import OE account info.  Once again, I am prompted for the POP3 and SMTP passwords once per session, then everything works fine.

Specifying "No restrictions" for both Winodws and Features has no effect on this troublesome behaviour.

While researching possible solutions to this problem; I found several sites that mention sympatico is among a *very* short list of ISP's that requires SSL on port 25.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the post. Based on your troubleshooting process, it seems that the issue is not caused by Windows SteadyState. Have you enabled WDP? If this is the case, you can setup Outlook account, keep changes with password and log off and check the result. If the issue still occurs, I recommend you post the issue to Outlook newsgroup via the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

Thank you.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:35 AM
  • It is not clear if you want WDP on or off?  It is currently off during this testing.

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that this  issue is not caused by Steady State.  I created a new user account on the system.  This new "Limited" user is NOT controlled by SteadyState. I imported the same iaf settings mentioned above. Outlook Express was able to send/receive email without ever being prompted for passwords (not even first time).
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 5:28 PM
  • So what's the result if you disable all restrictions on the problematic account? Does it still prompt to enter password?

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:56 AM