none
DPM 2010 No longer active after Server was promoted to DC then demoted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, Hoping someone can help with this. we had a DPM server running fine and all was working until one of our guys in there wisdom decided to install Directory Services onto it (The reason was that we have three DC's two are in a failover cluster and the third outwith the cluster for obvious reasons!) as our third DC was being 'flakey' and not allowing users to logon/authenticate initially, hence installing AD/DS onto the only other real physical server we have (being the DPM server!)

I have removed AD/DS from the DPM server and removed all metadata.

Now when I try and launch DPM (Start the service) I get the following: 'Windows could not start the DPM service on Local computer - Error 1068: The Dependency service or group failed to start'  This looks like they are :

SQL Server Agent (MSDPM2010) and SQL Server 9MSDPM2010) using local account .\microsoft$DPM$Acct Which no longer exists as the AD/DS roles were installed and I guess all local acounts (system) had been removed)

As per setup:

DPM Setup creates two restricted local user accounts:

Microsoft$DPM$Acct and Microsoft$DPMWriter$.

The SQL Server and SQL Agent services use the Microsoft$DPM$Acct account, and the DPM Writer service uses
    the Microsoft$DPMWriter$ account. (Although in my situation its not! its using 'Local system account'

Setup creates the Microsoft$DPM$Acct and
    Microsoft$DPMWriter$ accounts during DPM installation.

What I would like to know I guess if I can just recreate these accounts (what permissions?) or run through some part of the setup to create these accounts to get our DPM back up and running.

Just to add, tried to start both the SQL Server and Agent services with system acccounts with no luck - all relevant services seem to start ok but DPM service states 'Windows could not start the DPM service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator'

Can I do a fresh install of DPM 2010 over the top and keep our jobs/setting in place?

Any advise appreciated greatly as this is iur only source of backups for our VMs

Thanks and Regards

• Edited by MaccaManus Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:35 AM updated
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:31 AM

Answers

• Robert,

Just to advise I sent you an E-mail with some information on it that I hope you can help with!!!

It referenced http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/51edadb5-afa2-4e9d-9c50-d3ebd44ca85e

Regards and thanks again

Anyone with any more suggestions on this I would be a happy chap!!!  the install fails with 'unexpected error ID 4387'

It creates the Microsoft$DPM$Acct account but not the DPMR$<computer name> I believe it is meant to.  End of log looks like this:

[19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : <<< Dialog >>> Progress Page : Entering
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Data : Path of main msi = C:\Users\administrator.RGC\AppData\Local\Temp\2\DPMA360.tmp\DPM2010\msi\msdpm.msi
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Data : Path of log file = C:\\DPMLogs\DpmSetup.log
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : Create the local user account used for running SQL Server
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Data : Account name = MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Data : Native Error = 0
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : Configure SQL Server services to run under local user account
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : Change service configurations
    [19/08/2011 13:18:51] *** Error : CurrentDomain_UnhandledException
    [19/08/2011 13:21:16] * Exception : Invoking Watson with Exception:  => System.ArgumentException
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.WmiHelper.ChangeSqlServiceConfiguration(String serviceName, Int32 serviceType, String userAccountName, String password)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.SqlConfiguration.ConfigureServices()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.PrerequisiteInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.ConfigureRequiredPrerequisites()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Have had MS support on the phone assisting... basically removed all sql instances and DPM (After backing up DPMDB.bak and re-installed .. had a few install issues regarding the microsoft$DPM$Acc needing to have locla admin right to PC for install.

Macca

• Marked as answer by MaccaManus Friday, August 26, 2011 2:01 PM
    • Edited by MaccaManus Friday, August 26, 2011 2:03 PM Update reason
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:51 PM

All replies

• Hi

First of, dump your DPM database using an elevated command prompt and run the dpmbackup -db command. This will dump your DPM database. I'm including a link to a blogpost of my describing the command (http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/09/disaster-recovery-of-dpm-server-made.html)

IT's supported to install DPM on a DC and backup that DC but I don't think its a good idea to install those roles on a DPM server.

When you install DPM on a DC your local accounts (as you self have seen) willl dissapere.

The best thing for you to do is to make a fresh isntallation on the OS and the DPM server. This way you'll know that you don't have any old key's or files lest behind that you aren't aware of.

After yuou have installed you OS (remember to dump you DPM database DPMDB) use DPMSYNC command to restore the DPMDB and last but not least run DPMSYNC -Sync to verify the DPMDB with the online information in DPM. It's very importaint that your disks that resides in the DPM Diskpool ISN'T formated, if so you can't resotre your DPM server data.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Robert,

Just to advise I sent you an E-mail with some information on it that I hope you can help with!!!

It referenced http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/51edadb5-afa2-4e9d-9c50-d3ebd44ca85e

Regards and thanks again

Anyone with any more suggestions on this I would be a happy chap!!!  the install fails with 'unexpected error ID 4387'

It creates the Microsoft$DPM$Acct account but not the DPMR$<computer name> I believe it is meant to.  End of log looks like this:

[19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : <<< Dialog >>> Progress Page : Entering
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Data : Path of main msi = C:\Users\administrator.RGC\AppData\Local\Temp\2\DPMA360.tmp\DPM2010\msi\msdpm.msi
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Data : Path of log file = C:\\DPMLogs\DpmSetup.log
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : Create the local user account used for running SQL Server
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Data : Account name = MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : Configure SQL Server services to run under local user account
    [19/08/2011 13:18:43] Information : Change service configurations
    [19/08/2011 13:18:51] *** Error : CurrentDomain_UnhandledException
    [19/08/2011 13:21:16] * Exception : Invoking Watson with Exception:  => System.ArgumentException
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.WmiHelper.ChangeSqlServiceConfiguration(String serviceName, Int32 serviceType, String userAccountName, String password)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.SqlConfiguration.ConfigureServices()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.PrerequisiteInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.ConfigureRequiredPrerequisites()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Have had MS support on the phone assisting... basically removed all sql instances and DPM (After backing up DPMDB.bak and re-installed .. had a few install issues regarding the microsoft$DPM$Acc needing to have locla admin right to PC for install.

Macca

• Marked as answer by MaccaManus Friday, August 26, 2011 2:01 PM
    • Edited by MaccaManus Friday, August 26, 2011 2:03 PM Update reason
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:51 PM