none
BMR of 2008R2 server: No disk can be found RRS feed

• Question

• As a test, I'm trying to recover one of our Win2008R2 servers to a new server using a backup made with DPM2010's BMR.

I've created a share with the windowsbackupimage in it and I've booted the new server with the installation DVD. Then I'm able to select this image for restore but when I try to start it I get the message: No disk can be found.

I'm not sure why this is happening here because I already checked the requirements and the new harddisk is much larger then the source so that should not be an issue. Also, I'm able to select this disk from the console and list the contents from diskpart (LIST DISK shows 195 GB free, while about 45GB should be enough).

So why am I getting this error?

Both source and destination server are HP-DL380's with an array controller, no USB storage. And I've already tried to create a formatted partition to see if that would help but it makes no difference.

thanks!

Monday, August 22, 2011 8:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Peekstra,

Is this disk size correct - or a typo - It looks like we need a 440GB disk to restore to.

<snip>
    The bmrsystemrequirements.txt contains the following info:

WinRE OS Version: 6.1.7601 Server 

WinRE Architecture: AMD64

Minimum Number of Disks: 1

Minimum Disk Sizes: 

Disk 0: 440345714688 bytes  (Boot) 
    >snip<

440,345,714,688 = 440GB

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Peekstra,

Make sure on your share that the "WindowsImageBackup" folder is on the root of your share that you are restoring the BMR from. I have seen that problem when it is not in the root of the share.  It is also a good idea to have nothing else in that share. One more thing have you tried copying the BMR data to an external drive then trying the recovery from there to see if you get different results? 

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

thanks for the reply. I can confirm that the WindowsImageBackup folder is in the root of the share:

And it's the only the only thing in this directory. I'll try the restore from an external USB drive later today.

thanks!

Monday, September 5, 2011 8:18 AM
  • I've just tried restoring from an external USB disk but I get the same error: no disk can be found (for restoring).

Monday, September 5, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi Peekstra,

I am sure you already did this, but can you drill down into the WindowsImageBackup folder and make sure it has data in it?

Also if you have a BMR of any other servers have you tried them and do they work? Maybe this one is corrupt.

Monday, September 5, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Hi Buchatech,

I've already reviewed the contents of the image backup and it looks fine to me.

Minimum Disk Sizes: 

Which is available at the new server.

I'm currently only trying to protect this server with DPM, I'll try to refresh this backup or make one from another server.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi Peekstra,

Give this article a look: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/12/performing-a-bare-metal-restore-with-dpm-2010.aspx . It talks about some issues with BMR and may give you some insight.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

that's the link which I've been using from the start of my BMR trial... so it doesn't contain any new information for me. Thanks!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:09 AM
  • ok I see. If I come up with any more potential fixes I will let you know.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Hi Peekstra,

Is this disk size correct - or a typo - It looks like we need a 440GB disk to restore to.

<snip>

Minimum Disk Sizes: 

>snip<

440,345,714,688 = 440GB

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hi Mike,

that did the trick! Thanks!

I thought that only the system partition was present in the BMR DPM backup and that's about 40GB. So I thought that the requirements were stating 40GB as needed. The server hardware was identical but the harddisks turned out to have been formatted in RAID1 which ended up in a decrease in available diskspace thus creating the restore problem.

The restore has worked out fine.

thanks again!

Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:10 AM
  • According to this thread, the image can be copied to the external hard drive.  Then put in the W2K8 CD and click repair.  is it possible from external hard disk ?  

One of the point is that, if there's no DHCP in an environment, then it will not get IP and grab the information from the DNS.

Thank you and please advice.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:32 AM
  • According to this thread, the image can be copied to the external hard drive.  Then put in the W2K8 CD and click repair.  is it possible from external hard disk ?  

One of the point is that, if there's no DHCP in an environment, then it will not get IP and grab the information from the DNS.

Thank you and please advice.

Hi Bernard,

Yes you can put the image backup on an external drive and perform a BMR restore from there.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Greetings.  Does this mean a USB drive ?  Do you have the steps ?  e.g.

• Insert W2K8 SP1 CD
    • Once launch select Repair
    • Step 3
    • Step 4
    • Step 5

Cause I did a restore to a shared folder, it's on a \\servername\DPMRecovery.

I copied into the external drive, but when I repair, the computer doesn't recognise the image.  When I click on Advance, it forces me to look for network server + sharename.  

Please advice.

Regards,
    Bernard 

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Greetings.  Does this mean a USB drive ?  Do you have the steps ?  e.g.

• Insert W2K8 SP1 CD
    • Once launch select Repair
    • Step 3
    • Step 4
    • Step 5

Cause I did a restore to a shared folder, it's on a \\servername\DPMRecovery.

I copied into the external drive, but when I repair, the computer doesn't recognise the image.  When I click on Advance, it forces me to look for network server + sharename.  

Please advice.

Regards,
    Bernard 

Hi Bernard,

The steps are here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/12/performing-a-bare-metal-restore-with-dpm-2010.aspx.  They are not much different than restoring from a network it is just pointing the restore to a local drive. The BMR restore process will sometimes not show the local drive if there correct folder is not there. You need to make sure that on the root of your drive is the WindowsImageBackup folder. When DPM recovers it does not put that at the root of the folder so you need to be sure on this. During the BMR restore process it looks for that folder to locate the BMR data.

Let me know if you need more info.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hi Buchateech,

Greetings.  Thanks for the info.  I'm trying it out now.

This is a matter that I need to ask if the BMR can perform the following :

·       I understand that currently we need to use WinRE and a DHCP deamon/service is a prerequisite for the client to grab IP in order to access the restoration image. The whole idea is to get network up and running and to be able to access the path.

·      In some customer environment, we might not able to get DHCP service running on certain subnet. There are also some situation where the network switchport is tagged to a specific vLAN and specific IP need to be used. I am thinking, we can have a workaround to configure static IP using WinRE. Have you tested that? Or can we use WinPE instead?

·      Is there a future enhancement for DPM to use media boot for BMR client? I know that Netbackup can do this. Create bootable media with preconfigured IP from the BMR server and hooked the server with the boot media (can be done from out-of-band management tool or VM).

Another matter is the licensing.  If it's BMR, it doesn't matter if it's a STD or ENT DPM license, right ?  If it's application like Exchange or SQL, then it will need the Enterprise License.  But if just for doing BMR, to cut cost it will just a STD will do, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you :).

Regards,
    Bernard 

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:18 AM
  •  

You will need to assign an IP address manually if DHCP is not configured on the network you are wanting to restore to.

a. Shift+F10 to open a command window.
       b. Ipconfig - to list interfaces and ip addresses - make a note of the network connection name "Local Area Connection" if you have more than one.
       c. netsh
            interface
             tcp
               ipv4
                  set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.1  255.255.255.0  192.168.1.1 1

Important: If the network is using IPSec then additional measures must be taken in order to access the backed up image.  You can copy the backup image to a thumb drive and access the backup locally. 

DPM is simply playing the role of a scheduling Windows backup for BMR and the storage repository, DPM will never have it's own restore client and will always require the Winre environment.

Std license is all that is required for BMR / Systemstate protection.

Hope this helps.

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:31 PM