Dual-Video Card Rendering Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have two video-cards on my machine. Both are ATI Radeon HD 4350 on a Dell Vostro 420. One goes in the regular 16X slot while the other in a 1X slot. On the better card I have two 1280 x 1024 monitors while on the third I have a 1366 x 768 monitor.

This is on an office computer so they work well enough for me to work and I get decent performance. What's slightly annoying is when pop-up windows come up on any of the screens the edges of the pop-up are distorted.

Does anyone else experience this problem. Is there a way to fix this. Driver updates seem to do nothing.

Brian
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

Generally, the graphic card should be installed in the two PCI-16 slots while using dual cards. As your two graphic cards are installed in two different PCI slots, the performance would be reduced. As the monitors’ setting are controlled by the display card driver, it’s better to apply the latest BIOS and display card driver from the Dell support or ATI.

If the trouble still persists after update driver, please unplug the card installed in the 1x slot first, and test if the two 1280x1024 monitors work fine when new pop-up windows come up. If they works fine when you just install one graphic card, your trouble should be caused by the PCI slot. You’d better to replace one with two pci-16 slots.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:45 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:46 AM