none
MABS (DPM) SQL Express Backup Fails with Error 30111 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My MABS (DPM) server has been happily backing up 5 SQL Express Databases for quite a while now but all of a sudden it stopped with Error 30111. I've ran Windows Update and restarted both the MABS and SQL Express servers but the error persists.

The error I get in MABS is:

"Error 30111: The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation.
    Error details: VssError:The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried,
    the error is likely to reoccur.
     (0x800423F4)
    Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS service and the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors associated with these services in the Application Event Log on the server z-lon-sql-001.zanox.com. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself and then retry the operation.
    For more information on this error, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612."

When I look in Event Viewer on the SQL Express server I see 2 SQLWRITER and 2 SQLVDI Errors

SQLWRITER Error Event ID 24583

"Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e14. SQLSTATE: 42S22, Native Error: 207
    Error state: 1, Severity: 16
    Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0
    Error message: Invalid column name 'is_distributed'."

SQLVDI Error Event ID 1

"SQLVDI: Loc=SignalAbort. Desc=Client initiates abort. ErrorCode=(0). Process=10612. Thread=3652. Client. Instance=SQLEXPRESS. VD=Global\{A6E5C2B4-7629-45A2-BA11-540B2536E39D}1_SQLVDIMemoryName_0. "

SQLVDI Error Event ID 1

"SQLVDI: Loc=TriggerAbort. Desc=invoked. ErrorCode=(0). Process=3164. Thread=9456. Server. Instance=SQLEXPRESS. VD=Global\{A6E5C2B4-7629-45A2-BA11-540B2536E39D}1_SQLVDIMemoryName_0. "

SQLWRITER Error Event ID

"Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e14. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 3013
    Error message: BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 3271
    Error message: A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "{A6E5C2B4-7629-45A2-BA11-540B2536E39D}1:" 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.)."

Has anyone experienced this issue and have any suggestions on how to fix please?

Thank you,

Ryan

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks like an issue with the SQL components itself. To isolate, we can use diskshadow tool to create an application consistent shadowcopy by invoking SQL writer to check if SQL components are working fine. Please try below steps on the SQL server and share the output:

I have mentioned the comments on few commands, please remove it and feed the correct information as per your environment. 

Open command prompt in admin privileges.

diskshadow /l c:\output.txt  --> This will create a log file on the mentioned location. This is optional and can be skipped.

DISKSHADOW> set verbose on

DISKSHADOW> set context volatile

DISKSHADOW> add volume C:  --> Include the Volume in which your SQL DBs are kept. if you have 2 Volumes, you can add both volumes using the same command one at a time.

DISKSHADOW> writer verify {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a} --> Run VSS admin list wrters and copy the SQL write ID and put it in this command

DISKSHADOW> begin backup

DISKSHADOW> create

DISKSHADOW> end backup --> This command will delete the shadowcopy.

Try it and let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 9:32 AM
  • Good morning.

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the very long delay!

Please see below results from carrying out your mentioned Diskshadow steps. The MABS SQLExpress backup is still failing unfortunately.

DISKSHADOW> set verbose on
    DISKSHADOW> set context volatile
    DISKSHADOW> add volume C:
    DISKSHADOW> writer verify {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
    DISKSHADOW> begin backup
    DISKSHADOW> createExcluding writer "Shadow Copy Optimization Writer", because all of its components have been excluded.
    Excluding writer "MSSearch Service Writer", because all of its components have been excluded.
    Component "\BCD\BCD" from writer "ASR Writer" is excluded from backup,
    because it requires volume  which is not in the shadow copy set.
    The writer "ASR Writer" is now entirely excluded from the backup because the top-level
    non selectable component "\BCD\BCD" is excluded.
    All components from writer "{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}" are selected.

* Including writer "Task Scheduler Writer":
        + Adding component: \TasksStore

* Including writer "VSS Metadata Store Writer":
        + Adding component: \WriterMetadataStore

* Including writer "Performance Counters Writer":
        + Adding component: \PerformanceCounters

* Including writer "System Writer":
        + Adding component: \System Files
        + Adding component: \Win32 Services Files

* Including writer "SqlServerWriter":
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\SQLEXPRESS\master
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\SQLEXPRESS\model
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\SQLEXPRESS\msdb
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\SQLEXPRESS\WIN-PAK PRO
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\SQLEXPRESS\WIN-PAK Archive
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\master
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\model
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\msdb
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\RDM
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\lansweeperdb
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\RDM_Archive
        + Adding component: \Z-LON-SQL-001\RDM_Auto

* Including writer "COM+ REGDB Writer":
        + Adding component: \COM+ REGDB

* Including writer "WMI Writer":
        + Adding component: \WMI

* Including writer "Registry Writer":
        + Adding component: \Registry

ERROR: Selected writer "SqlServerWriter" is in a failed state
         - Writer failure code: 0x (VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE)
         - Writer ID: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
         - Instance ID: {2942076f-1ffa-418e-beeb-2de5c8e965f1}

The last operation failed.
        - Returned HRESULT: 80042301
        - Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE

DISKSHADOW> end backup

Cheers,
    Ryan

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:53 AM