SCSM 1801 Self-Service Portal Access for non-AD users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am setting up the self-service portal in a situation where half the end-users are in AD and will be accessing the portal with their AD credentials.  The other half will be users that are not part of AD but will be submitting requests for services and assistance through the portal.  What is the best way to facilitate this?  I thought about enabling anonymous authentication, but then everyone is anonymous - it does not even attempt Windows Authentication for those with valid accounts, and there also does not seem to be any way to accurately populate the "Affected User" field that way.  

I tried setting it up so that when you enter a ticket you also have to enter your name and that will populate the Affected User field, but that field does not seem to be one that could be mapped by prompts.  

Anybody else done something like this?  And what is the best way to go about it?  There has to be some way for users to go to the site anonymously and create a ticket at the same time as a new User CI to be the "Affected User", right?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:22 PM

Answers

• "how I could enable students to browse to the Self-Service Portal to submit and track their own tickets? "

The answer is easy: Each student needs a AD account ;-) Otherwise there is no other option for a student to track his own tickets. Based on the logged-in user (AD Account) SCSM is displaying the related objects (all objects the user object is related to as affected user).

If you allow anonymous access to the portal, SCSM can't display the related tickets. If you are working with a "generic user" all tickets will be listed (all tickets created by the "generic user"). 

Andreas Baumgarten

• Marked as answer by Pascalli2 Sunday, October 21, 2018 1:01 AM
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:11 PM

All replies

• You can't map a text/string prompt to the Affected User field of an Incident.

The reason for that is: The Affected User is an object and not a string property. The Affected User object has a relationship to the Incident object. If you double click on a Affected User the User form will open with all the properties of the user object.

I wouldn't go for a "anonymous user should create an Incident". It would end up with Incidents without a Affected User Information and String fields filled with "Donald Duck" or "Mickey Mouse" as the affected user.

In SCSM environments of our customers a "valid and existing user" needs to open an Incident (and will be added as "Affected User" for later reference). With a User prompt as a string they can add the "Creating the Incident on behalf of" information for "anonymous users".

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Saturday, October 20, 2018 6:39 PM
  • Thanks Andreas,  that makes sense that you can't map the Affected User to a field.  Is it just a limitation of the portal, then, that a user accessing it needs to have an existing account in Active Directory?  In the situation I am working with, there are students who will need to browse to the Self-Service Portal in order to submit tickets for issues in their labs, etc.  The students do not have Active Directory accounts, or existing user objects in Service Manager.

Do you have any suggestions on how I could enable students to browse to the Self-Service Portal to submit and track their own tickets?  

Thank you.

Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:47 PM
  • "how I could enable students to browse to the Self-Service Portal to submit and track their own tickets? "

The answer is easy: Each student needs a AD account ;-) Otherwise there is no other option for a student to track his own tickets. Based on the logged-in user (AD Account) SCSM is displaying the related objects (all objects the user object is related to as affected user).

If you allow anonymous access to the portal, SCSM can't display the related tickets. If you are working with a "generic user" all tickets will be listed (all tickets created by the "generic user"). 

Andreas Baumgarten

• Marked as answer by Pascalli2 Sunday, October 21, 2018 1:01 AM
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:11 PM
  • I was afraid that might be the case.  It seems like they should have made it possible to somehow hit a sign-up page on the self-service portal and create your own user object to submit tickets under.  

We'll work with what it is, I guess.  Thanks for your help!

Sunday, October 21, 2018 1:01 AM