none
Server 2019 RDS administrative session shadowing works, but shows a black shadow window RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there !

On a Server 2019 properly set up as a domain member with activated RDP services ("quick access" method), the "collection" is displayed correctly in the server manager; including the registered non-administrators or the normal remote desktop users.

The server is currently in the evaluation phase and only runs for 7 days. Neither CAL's nor product keys are entered, but that shouldn't matter at the moment, right?

Click right Mouse click on a user provides the option "shadow". When triggered, the correct small dialog comes and the window also opens. But it is white and when you enlarge the window you see a black picture with a white square in the middle. => the shadwing works, but shows nothing reasonable.

There is an RDS tool from Lizard, which delivers the desired monitoring result perfectly on another server 2019, which is single, i.e. not a domain member. Of course, I also installed this on the domain member server and expected success. But this tool also led to the absolutely identical result as the session monitoring via collection: black screen with white square in the middle.

The domain has the 2008R2 level.

The additional test carried out on both servers with the installed RDS Manager 2008 (tsadmin, that's fine!) Led to the result that everything works perfectly except for the session seal: there it also works perfectly up to the short dialog window and then it says " Access denied! ".

Can someone - best of all from Microsoft perhaps? - tell me what's going on?

It makes no sense to start up a new terminal server whose sessions the administrator cannot monitor.

With regards
    Chris
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Eve,

thank you for your care ! We still work on this issue, but there is allways soe days of delay due to other work.

You know that I reportet this problem speaking about Server 2019 (which says it's fully updated)

As the "collection" is only there when the server is a memberserver in a domain we set up a second srever 2019 an a domain member and faced th same result: the shadow session appears, but with a black window and a white square in the middle.s

So we made a third try with a Server 2016 as a member server in the same domain (level 2008R2). The result is exactey the same !

As I have to get a bit more familiar with the powershell I did not try this, but I can call the shadow session with 2 other methods: this Lizzard tool and over a small CMD script which makes finally what you adviced me to to with power shell. => Result is the same: black window with white square in the middle.

From a colleguae I got the link https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/2833839/guidelines-for-installing-the-remote-desktop-session-host-role-servicewhich says that shadowing RD sessions should NOT WORK on Servers 2019, which are not domain members and are licensed "per user". But extly this constellation is the only which WORKS ...under the condition you call the shadowing either with the Lizzard tool or with the CMD batch with ID-number.

Crazy so far !

We will make  a forth test these days with a Server 2012 R2. I am curious what will happen there. I will report !

Meanwhile another problem with the singlestanding Server 2019 (with CAL's per user and activated) occurs: when we log on we get a message that "due to some problem with PDP licensing the logon time is limited to 1 hour". As the licence diagnostis say everything is ok and as the licence server is adressed orderly in Group Policies and as it is said "an error" but nothing else (no error number, no hint) i have no idea what can be the reason. I am just wondering why I see "CALs for Server 2016" in the licence diagnostics instead of the CAL's 2019 I bought. (?)

Regards Chris

NCD

• Marked as answer by NCDHOST Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

RDS shadowing function should be working on test environment(without CALs or keys).

Please log off the session, on RD CB, open Server Manager – Remote Desktop Services, make sure that user session has been logged off. 

Then, establish new RDP connection from one client, then, on RD CB:
    1. Launch Server Manager.
    2. Navigate to Remote Desktop Services, Collections.
    3. In the details, right-click the session under Connections, and select Shadow.
    4. Select View or control and wait for end user’s approves if necessary.

If problem persists, try to establish shadow via PowerShell and check the result:
    1. Obtain current session status:
    Get-RDUserSession | ft Username, UnifiedSessionId, SessionState, HostServer, ApplicationType -GroupBy Sessionstate -Wrap

2. Remember the session ID.

3. Establish shadow and replace <ID> with the session ID information obtained from step 2:
    mstsc /shadow:<ID> /Control

If problem persists, please try to patch your RDS system fully with Windows Update, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance:
    1. Open Run, type Winver and end with enter, check current OS build number.
    2. Compare the build number with below link to identify current system patch level:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4464619
    3. Check/install update and make sure that your system has been fully patched.
    4. Then, confirm that if problem happens again. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 16, 2020 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:48 AM
  • Hi Eve,

thank you for your care ! We still work on this issue, but there is allways soe days of delay due to other work.

You know that I reportet this problem speaking about Server 2019 (which says it's fully updated)

As the "collection" is only there when the server is a memberserver in a domain we set up a second srever 2019 an a domain member and faced th same result: the shadow session appears, but with a black window and a white square in the middle.s

So we made a third try with a Server 2016 as a member server in the same domain (level 2008R2). The result is exactey the same !

As I have to get a bit more familiar with the powershell I did not try this, but I can call the shadow session with 2 other methods: this Lizzard tool and over a small CMD script which makes finally what you adviced me to to with power shell. => Result is the same: black window with white square in the middle.

From a colleguae I got the link https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/2833839/guidelines-for-installing-the-remote-desktop-session-host-role-servicewhich says that shadowing RD sessions should NOT WORK on Servers 2019, which are not domain members and are licensed "per user". But extly this constellation is the only which WORKS ...under the condition you call the shadowing either with the Lizzard tool or with the CMD batch with ID-number.

Crazy so far !

We will make  a forth test these days with a Server 2012 R2. I am curious what will happen there. I will report !

Meanwhile another problem with the singlestanding Server 2019 (with CAL's per user and activated) occurs: when we log on we get a message that "due to some problem with PDP licensing the logon time is limited to 1 hour". As the licence diagnostis say everything is ok and as the licence server is adressed orderly in Group Policies and as it is said "an error" but nothing else (no error number, no hint) i have no idea what can be the reason. I am just wondering why I see "CALs for Server 2016" in the licence diagnostics instead of the CAL's 2019 I bought. (?)

Regards Chris

NCD

• Marked as answer by NCDHOST Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:49 AM