none
DPM2010 Bare Metal Recovery of SBS2008? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (did a search and found nothing, also posted in SBS but recommended to post over here).

Does anyone have any experience using DPM 2010 to backup and more importantly to restore SBS2008 using Bare Metal Recovery?  I have seen posts for Server 2008, but nothing specifically mentioning SBS.

We are running a test installation for a client, but at the moment I'm struggling to understand how to run the backup.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:58 AM

Answers

• I have not used or tested with SBS, but if you are having trouble understanding how to run the backup, I can possibly help there.  Can you let us know exactly what you are trying to do and what errors or problems you are seeing?

Some general guidance for BMR protection:

• The biggest thing to look out of is to be sure the WSB feature is installed on the SBS server.
    • These can be very large, so it is best to walk through a BMR backup on the SBS server itself just to get a feel for the size of the backup and then when setting it up in DPM, you will know how much space you will need as DPM will use a default of 50Gb.
    • If it fails to run from DPM at this point, you can open WSB console on SBS server and see the last attempted backup (which should be the one called by DPM) and get the network location it used.  Try running the backup of BMR within WSB and use that network location.  This may give you a better error to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:10 PM

All replies

• I have not used or tested with SBS, but if you are having trouble understanding how to run the backup, I can possibly help there.  Can you let us know exactly what you are trying to do and what errors or problems you are seeing?

Some general guidance for BMR protection:

• The biggest thing to look out of is to be sure the WSB feature is installed on the SBS server.
    • These can be very large, so it is best to walk through a BMR backup on the SBS server itself just to get a feel for the size of the backup and then when setting it up in DPM, you will know how much space you will need as DPM will use a default of 50Gb.
    • If it fails to run from DPM at this point, you can open WSB console on SBS server and see the last attempted backup (which should be the one called by DPM) and get the network location it used.  Try running the backup of BMR within WSB and use that network location.  This may give you a better error to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I am going to hope that this helped you find out the root of your problem and mark this as resolved.  If you are still having problems with this, please let us know the results of the above tests as you reopen this thread.  Thanks!
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:41 PM