About .CHK files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to know whether:

1. Whether all .CHK files can be recovered using UNCHK tool (by eric phelps) or some can't be?

2. How can I generate .CHK files? Can I generate them using sophisticated low level tools by disturbing the file system?

Thank You.

PS.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:00 PM

All replies

• Im not going to say for a complete solution this will work. But look to this thread for a support file necessary to complete operations. But this illustrates the need for backs instead of recovery. Better to have a re-installation disk/cd. And a back up of important work files. Network attached storage or cd/dvd backup, and the cheapest option USB hard drive.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/thread/f4e2b942-3e2c-449d-9be5-789bd53814f6

I've seen multiple laptops fail due to switching from xp, home, pro, media center, to windows 7. And usually hard drives fail due to the new access patterns on a consistent basis. Meaning each laptop hard drive lost something important to booting into the new system. Security violations, access errors, ntboot missing or currupt, registry fried. So I am making a case for backup. 

Keith

Friday, March 11, 2011 5:32 AM