Exchange 2007 to 2010 Migration problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Maybe I am over thinking this but I ran into something that doesn't seem that hard but I've only down a few Exchange migrations and the last one I did was almost 2 years ago so my memory is a bit blank.  So here is the issue I have.  The existing 2007 Exchange server is named "Mail" and the issue I am having with this is the webmail.  Even after moving users over to the new server when I log them into webmail it redirects to the old server.  For instance I put in https://newexchangeserver.domain.local/owa once I log in it redirects to https://mail.domain.local and since the old server name is literally "mail" it redirects to OWA 2003.  

I'm also having an issue with Outlook not automatically changing servers, I'm not sure this is related and I'm still researching this as I've never had an issue with this in past changes.  I've read that sometimes it can take upto 30 minutes however its been over an hour and nothing.  Outlook did pop up and say it needed to be restarted however after restarting it still tries to connect to the old server.   If I create a new profile pointing to the new server everything works fine, however I have 700 + accounts so that really isn't a great option.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:19 AM

Answers

• I'm really wondering if some of my concerns were because of the VPN last night.  Today the OWA is working properly and redirecting properly... In fact everything seems to be working smoothly.  I really figured without the internal mail "A" record being change it was going to cause issues.  So I go back to my "overthinking".  Now I just need to troubleshoot by ActiveSync isn't working on the new server only.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:56 PM

All replies

• HI Greg,

Check the Rpcclientaccessserver status 

and use the below command to set the New RPC server

Set-MailboxDatabase <MailboxDatabaseName> –RpcClientAccessServer NEwServer

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:23 AM
  • Hi Greg,

You need to Configure internal and external DNS host (A) record for the new 2010 CAS server
    You need to obtain a new certificate that supports a new SAN of CAS 2010

for the OWA issue you need to move your owa virtual directory from exchange 2007 to 2010

Follow the below article to move your virtual directories from exchange 2007 to 2010

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332348(v=exchg.141).aspx

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.
    That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.
    Regards,
    Sathish

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:00 AM
  • Sunil, I used the "Get-MailboxDatabox <DatabaseName. |FL RpcClientAccess* command to verify that this setting is already correct.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Sathish,

Here is my fear and again maybe I am over thinking this.  The way I remember in the past yest I would of changed the DNS A record external/internal of the new server to "mail.domain.com/mail.domain.local" however because the old server name is "mail" my fear is that will break all of the old connections and they won't be able to connect until I move their mailboxes over?  Or will it still route it properly through the new server.  I setup "legacy.domain.com externally and legacy.domain.local" however I wasn't really sure how this worked.

Now on my PC I changed my Hostfile to test changing mail.domain.local to the new server and OWA worked perfect.  However my fear is if I change this file that users that are still on the old server will disconnect.

FYI I already do have a certificate as well.
    • Edited by Greg Sieg Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:58 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Colin,

I was reviewing this article and that is pretty much the steps I took.  I've migrated Exchange before a few times but as I said it was a while back.  I've done 03 to 07 and 07 to 10.  My man confusion is what to do with the internal A record of "mail" as if I point that to the new server all of my mailboxes that I have yet to move no longer have connection to the old server via outlook.  It appears OWA is smart enough to reroute them to "legacy" which I configured but internally I don't see in this documentation on how Outlook handles this. 

I did testing on a PC and modified the host files and it broke the connection.  

Also as far as Outlook not automatically updating I think I figured out the issue.  I was doing this migration from home last night VPN'd in.  I'm assuming a port was blocking the completion of this as this morning now that I am onsite it connected instantly.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:06 PM
  • I'm really wondering if some of my concerns were because of the VPN last night.  Today the OWA is working properly and redirecting properly... In fact everything seems to be working smoothly.  I really figured without the internal mail "A" record being change it was going to cause issues.  So I go back to my "overthinking".  Now I just need to troubleshoot by ActiveSync isn't working on the new server only.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Glad that the issue has been resolved by yourself. As for the ActiveSync service, if there are any problem, we can post the issue to the following forum for more troubleshooting:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvrmobilitylegacy

Thanks,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 6:57 AM