Removing the x64 version and only having the x86 - possible? RRS feed

• Question

• anyone know if i can get rid of the x64 version and go back to only having the 32bit version?

~if this were /. this sig would be funny

Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:13 PM

Answers

• Removing the x64 version and only having the x86 - possible?
    No.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, October 24, 2014 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 1:52 PM
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you are using Windows 7, open any folder and on the address bar type 

Control Panel\System and Security\System

Example:-

If you are using Windows 8 then check http://www.picohelp.com/978/how-to-check-computer-system-specifications-windows-8.html .

Example:-

Now after seeing that tell me whether your PC is 32 bit or 64. If your PC is 64 bit then you cannot go back to 32 bit version. The only the solution is to get another PC with 32 Bit.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:56 PM
  • and this is why i love Microsoft.  cripes.

well thanks Fahad, i appreciate the answer.  wanna take a stab at my larger problem?  :)

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Removing the x64 version and only having the x86 - possible?
    No.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, October 24, 2014 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 1:52 PM
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:00 PM
  • and this is why i love Microsoft.  cripes.

well thanks Fahad, i appreciate the answer.  wanna take a stab at my larger problem?  :)

Hi,

Thanks for your trust. For your large problem, there will be SQL server technical support engineer help you resolve your issue.

Let's go back to your original problem. We need more information to analyze your issue.

If you mean switch from 64 bit to 32 bit, this is impossible. You would have to completely reinstall Windows to change to a 32 bit flavor.

If you mean the Program Files (x86) and Program File folder, short answer: To ensure legacy 32-bit applications continue to work the same way they used to without imposing ugly rules on 64-bit applications that would create a permanent mess. And at the same time, 64 bit application could work more efficiently.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 24, 2014 7:01 AM
  • "If you mean switch from 64 bit to 32 bit, this is impossible. You would have to completely reinstall Windows to change to a 32 bit flavor."

i'm not trying to change my system architecture. only the version that windows uses as a default for IE.

"short answer: To ensure legacy 32-bit applications continue to work the same way they used to without imposing ugly rules on 64-bit applications that would create a permanent mess. And at the same time, 64 bit application could work more efficiently."

i don't understand that as an answer, short or otherwise.

and now that i'm reading Fahad's answer, i'm realizing that he ALSO thought i wanted to change my system architecture. that's not it at all.

to reiterate my problem:

IE will not export reports from our SSRS using MY 32 bit version, which is the default (obviously, because you can't SET the x64 version as default). other people in the office with the same IE 32bit version 11.0.9600.17358IS can export just fine. if i copy and paste the URL from my non-working, 32bit IE into the x64 version of IE, the reports export just fine.

so i'm trying to figure out whats going on and how to fix it. it seems i have to reinstall windows since MS has somehow figured out how to bind IE to kernel or some other deep rooted nonsense.

"Thanks for your trust."

hey, you've earned it ;)

Friday, October 24, 2014 1:45 PM
  • another perfect solution for a microsoft product.

i'm reminded of this video

http://youtu.be/Hxx2KcPWWZg?t=1m15s

"can we make the line thinner?"

"no"

"ok"

• Edited by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 1:55 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 1:54 PM
  • See my reply to your other, related thread.

The differences between IE 32-bit and 64-bit are somewhat "blurred" with IE11 installed on a Win7 computer, depending on whether Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled or not.

Then there's Enterprise Mode.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:27 AM
  • You cannot change versions of your IE. If your PC is 32 bit, it will remain 32 and if it is 64 bit, it will remain 64. Thats all.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:32 PM