none
Bitlocker encrypted Hard Drive, no recovery key and no password RRS feed

• Question

• I have an external hard drive which is Bitlocker protected and needs the 48 Digit recovery key.  Unfortunately I no longer have the previous computer that would have encrypted the hard drive and so have no way to check for a recovery key.  No idea where to start and I really need to access the hard drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Sunday, December 9, 2018 3:15 AM

All replies

• did you read: Find my BitLocker recovery key
    if you are logged in with a Microsoft account, you should find the recovery key in your OneDrive (link from the article)
    Sunday, December 9, 2018 10:33 AM
  • If your external drive used to belong to another user, you need to ask him for BitLocker password and recovery key, otherwise you can access to the data inside.

Because BitLocker is used for data protection, just image that your device or hard disk was stolen, the thief can access to data drive without credential, thing will be very terrible.

Therefore, the only way to access to this drive is asking previous owner, or you have to format it.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 10, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 7:20 AM