essentials 2012 r2 servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2012 R2 Essentials working very well in the lab and now wish to move other servers into that LAN. I have a couple of Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-v servers in a workgroup running Windows 7 Pro, 8 pro and 8.1 pro with one windows 10 just installed.

I want to start adding virtual servers to the Essentials domain (not work group) but am unclear on licensing. ES2012 would be my domain controller with any other W2012R2 server as member.

Guzzifrank

Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:00 PM

Answers

• Member servers require CALs.
    • Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, February 9, 2015 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:48 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 8:14 PM
  • Essentials, either the SKU or the Role added to Server Standard, is designed to handle the wish list you laid out without additional servers in the mix. But if you want more than one server and have a beefy box, consider Server Standard as hyper visor, Server as VM and another VM with Essentials role. Either or both can be DCs and you get two servers for less than the cost of Essentials plus another server license and will not be limited to 25 users.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:49 AM

All replies

• You say you have licensing questions, but didn't ask any questions. We can help, but you gotta ask.

As an aside, I do recommend calling Microsoft for licensing questions. No advice in a forum is legally binding, and plenty of bad advice abounds.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, February 2, 2015 9:45 AM
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 10:46 PM
  • Hi Frank,

I agree with Cliff , you need to more specific about the question which will help us provide a perfect answer or guidance.

You can find more details about licenses in the below link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDkQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2FE%2F6%2F4%2FE64F72BF-55E9-4D85-9EFE-39605D7CE272%2FWindowsServer2012R2_Licensing_Guide.pdf&ei=yeTOVOXPLYSQ8QWOt4GACg&usg=AFQjCNEKE6-uWzYNiAcSODNkyaYzM8-jcA&sig2=6OaPXAizLrJ1sF4tTdyhQQ&bvm=bv.85076809,d.dGc

Binu Kumar - MCP, MCITP, MCTS , MBA - IT , Director Aarbin Technology Pvt Ltd - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, February 2, 2015 9:46 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 2:48 AM
  • Sorry, me bad:

W2012r2 essentials comes with 25 user license. It is designed as the only server. I know that if I add the Essential role to an existing W2012 domain (or other domains) I have to have licenses for all the clients use the Essentials as basically they are just part of the domain.

So, if I have a Essentials domain, some Windows 8.1 users and then add a member server (mostly for storage and client backups) do I have to get licenses to have Essential users access that server?

What I want to end up with is Ess2012R2, clients, and the client backups on the W2012R2 server I have with tons of hard drive space.

Thanks.

Guzzifrank

Monday, February 2, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Member servers require CALs.
    Monday, February 2, 2015 8:14 PM
  • Essentials, either the SKU or the Role added to Server Standard, is designed to handle the wish list you laid out without additional servers in the mix. But if you want more than one server and have a beefy box, consider Server Standard as hyper visor, Server as VM and another VM with Essentials role. Either or both can be DCs and you get two servers for less than the cost of Essentials plus another server license and will not be limited to 25 users.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:49 AM
  • Many thanks for clear answer.

Guzzifrank

Thursday, February 5, 2015 3:47 AM