none
why specifying site collection Storage Quota is mandetory insdie sharepoint online

Question

• I am working on an Office 365 sharepoint 2013 online  server. now i want to create a new sit collection , but i have noted that the Storage Quota is mandatory. so my question is how i can calculate it ? and is there any relation between the Storage Quota and the Server Resource Quota under it?

Second Question.. now let say i define a storage quota to be 10 GB ,, then can i expand it later on ? or let say i specify a storage quota to be 500 GB ,, then can i down-size it to let say 200 GB?

Third Question. is there any defualt (recommended) number for the storage quote i can always start with ?

Thanks

Friday, November 11, 2016 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1, Previously, SharePoint storage was calculated in megabytes (MB) and now it's calculated in gigabytes (GB), using only full integers. For more information, please check this link: How to set Storage Quota.

There is no relation between the storage quota and the server resource quota. Storage Quota is for your site collection and server resource quota is for your sandbox solutions.

2, You can update the storage quota whatever expand or down-size, but the number you expand or down is based on the limit you set. For example, you set 1 GB and you cannot expand or down less than 1 GB.

3, With the link from 1, a minimum of 1 GB quota can be set per site collection.

Best Regards,

Andy Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 14, 2016 9:16 AM
  •  but the number you expand or down is based on the limit you set. For example, you set 1 GB and you cannot expand or down less than 1 GB.

thanks for your reply, but can you please advice what do you exactly mean by the above sentence mainly what you meant by "based on the limit you set."??

Thanks

Monday, November 14, 2016 12:53 PM