Sequence version 2 of an application (AppV 4.6) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please advise on making an version 2.0 of an application.

I already have the info  on making an upgrade: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e23f93ef-fd4f-4e6c-b0f6-1b7555883021/sequenceupdate-appv-46-package?forum=mdopappv

I also can import and publish in management server, but when I try to launch it, it says "a package with the same asset already exist ...".

Isn't there a step by step guide for  making a version 2 of an existing package?

Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Friday, January 31, 2014 10:53 AM

Answers

• Supposed you use the App-V Management Server (and not SCCM or so) for deployment

** Sequencer**

1. Make a local copy of the package on your Sequencer machine

2. Open/Modify an existing package; I'd recommend to use the 'Add Application' method, but that depends on the requirement. See http://kirxblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/app-v-4-6-sp1-the-right-sequencing-wizard/

3. Make your changes, save the package

**Content Share**

1. Make a backup copy of all 'old' (v1) package files2.

2. copy only the new .sft file to the content share (old location). As it should have a '_v2' suffix, you nopw have two .sft files there.

**Management Console**

1. Find the package info in the 'Packages' node of the MMC.

2. Right-Click -> Add Version -> Browse to new _v2.sft (Note: If your content share is locally on the App-V server, you can browse to the local file (D:\content or so)

3. Verify that the relative path to the new SFt looks good (=_almost_ similar to the original one). Do *not* worry about \ vs. / differences

**Content Share**

1. Replace all other package files (.sprj, .osd, Icons subfolder andd so on) with the new version files

Done.

Depending on your 'maintenance window' you could first copy all new files and then add the new version to the MMC.

**What happens on the client**

*If a client did not refresh the publishing info (= still has the 'old' .osd files):*

Client attempts to launch app, requesting info about <original>.sft

Management Server returns info <original> has ben superseded by _v2.sft: you should use this instead

Client tries to stream _v2.sft (well: the difference compared to v1) and launch the app.

*If the client did refresh*

In this case, the client downloaded the new OSD files that contain references to _v2.sft and asks for that file right away.

Updating to _v2.sft on a client requires that no user uses any application of that package on the machine (esp. important on RDS servers). While the package is 'in use' (Client MMC), the upgrade won't happen.

How ever it will happen if at any point-in-time the package was not in use and a user launches the app after that.

All above only works if the package has been opended (Modify) on the Sequencer and has been saved WITHOUT the Save as... NEW PACKAGE option.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, January 31, 2014 12:56 PM