none
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail" RRS feed

• Question

• I've had this error come up for over 3 months now and nothing i seem to do can fix it, when i try to open windows live messenger this error comes up.  "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail".

I have windows vista and can not fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies

• I am having this same problem!
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I have Windows 7 and when I double clik on my pictures this window opens up too.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:54 AM
  • I've had this error come up for over 3 months now and nothing i seem to do can fix it, when i try to open windows live messenger this error comes up.  "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail".

I have windows vista and can not fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx

This describes my current situation perfectly.

I've downloaded Windows live messeger 3 times now and none of them worked.

I've downloaded some C++ thing (as suggested by a few forums) then tried to open messenger - still the error.

HOW DO YOU FIX THIS?? I'm tired of this side-by-side error. It means nothing to me.

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.

Friday, December 24, 2010 5:07 AM

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32bit myself. Have tried to un-install it, and re-install. Also used Clean un-install instructions as well. Did not work.

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.

Unable to remove the manifest files, in normal running of the kernel.

I will have to try safe mode.

• Proposed as answer by Mortis421 Monday, February 28, 2011 3:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mortis421 Monday, February 28, 2011 3:22 AM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Well ... I fixed mine.

I un-installed windows live suite, and most recent updates. Also un-instaled DOT NET updates etc... re-booted .. ran windows update, and via that process re-installed Windows Live suite, and it worked.

• Proposed as answer by Mortis421 Monday, February 28, 2011 3:24 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Well ... I fixed mine.

I un-installed windows live suite, and most recent updates. Also un-instaled DOT NET updates etc... re-booted .. ran windows update, and via that process re-installed Windows Live suite, and it worked.

I tried this and it didn't work. :S

Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error about side-by-side configuration and have tried all the solutions I can find.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Have you tried to delete the Manifest files?

Try removing the updates, re-boot then log into the OS in safe mode with Networking, and reapply the updates via windows update.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Have you tried to delete the Manifest files?

Try removing the updates, re-boot then log into the OS in safe mode with Networking, and reapply the updates via windows update.

Where do I delete the manifest files?  I am also having the same problem.  Glad to know I am not the only one!
    Friday, April 1, 2011 3:43 PM

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:42 PM

I too have had this problem for several months. I have uninstalled Windows Live Essentials, gone in my regidit and cleaned that, rebooted, reinstalled and i get the same  message.

PLEASE... can ANYONE help?

What is the manifest and where is it?
    • Edited by Geri-Ann Monday, October 10, 2011 9:59 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Wyfang Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:57 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 9:57 PM
  • After a session of chatting on msn live, i close the window. I notice the messenger live icon disappeared from the display bar at the bottom. I tried to sign in to Messenger Live but instead got a message " The application has failed because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more details"

seeAng

• Proposed as answer by Wyfang Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:57 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 3:56 AM