none
MDT 2012 Win7 x64 capture fails - boot loop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to MDT and having a problem capturing a Win7 x64 reference image.

It seems to start out fine doing the Sysprep and so on, but then it has to restart the computer and after that it goes into a boot loop. After this, I have been forced to format and reinstall Win7 on the computer. This picture shows what it loops through in about 20 seconds - and it shows nothing else than what's on these pictures :)

www.jaded.dk/boot_loop.png

I have been Google'ing alot, but can't find any post with the same issue, since most other get an error msg which I dont.

Here is some info about the setup.

I'm deploying the task sequence locally using these commands:

net use * \\mdtserver\DeploymentShare$ /user:domain\username

cscript \\mdtserver\DeploymentShare$\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf

Server running MDT 2012 U1 - Win server 2008 R2, 64 bit

The laptop on which i'm trying to capture the ref img is a HP Elitebook 8470p. It is fully patched with windows updates and I have installed a few apps like Office 2010, flash player, reader etc.

The "Rules" on my MDT Workbench is like this:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    InputLocale=0406:00000406
    KeyboardLocale=0406:00000406
    KeyboardLocalePE=0406:00000406
    SystemLocale=0406:00000406
    UILanguage=0406
    UserLocale=0406:00000406

My task sequence looks like this:

www.jaded.dk/task_seq.png

I don't know where to find a log of the capture, to get a hint of what has gone wrong.

Hope you can help me out here :) And please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Morten

• Edited by MortenCWT Friday, June 28, 2013 6:59 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 6:35 AM

All replies

• Are you launching LiteTouch.vbs as an admin on the machine?  Also, you said you are calling LiteTouch.wsf... you shouldn't call that file directly and should be running LiteTouch.vbs instead.

If those steps don't fix the issue, can you post your logs (smsts.log / bdd.log) to some cloud storage so we can review the individual steps for errors?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Friday, June 28, 2013 3:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried running LiteTouch.vbs as well, but it produces the same output. And it is run as administrator yes.

I can't seem to find the log files? Where should they be located? :)

/Morten

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Can someone please help me out? :)
    Friday, July 5, 2013 11:41 AM
  • me too.

It seems to start out fine doing the Sysprep and so on, but then it has to restart the computer and after that it goes into a boot loop. 

Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Use this post to help you find your log files: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/05/08/mdt-2010-amp-2012-my-deployment-failed-what-and-where-are-logs-i-should-review.aspx

When the computer restarts during the Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence (default), it should restart in WinPE.  Do you see WinPE or does it go right back to Full Windows?

Monday, July 8, 2013 5:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi David,

If you check out these pictures here: http://www.jaded.dk/boot_loop.png

These are the only 3 things that show on the monitor, and nothing else appears than what you see on the pictures :) Then it reboots.

Can't get in to Windows after this - without formatting/reinstalling Windows everytime. Therefore I can't access any logs either :s

BR Morten

• Edited by MortenCWT Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:59 AM Forgot log-info
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Maybe set DoCapture=YES in your CustomSettings.ini, see if that works.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Just tried to add DoCapture=YES, but it's still the same :)

Like this:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    InputLocale=0406:00000406
    KeyboardLocale=0406:00000406
    KeyboardLocalePE=0406:00000406
    SystemLocale=0406:00000406
    UILanguage=0406
    UserLocale=0406:00000406
    DoCapture=YES

• Edited by MortenCWT Tuesday, July 9, 2013 1:35 PM update
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:49 AM
  • Looks like windows PE does not have the network or storage drivers for your device.

Have you added any drivers to your boot image yet?

vkernel.ro/blog/adding-drivers-to-winpe-boot-image-in-mdt-20102012

Here is a guide on how to get drivers injected into your boot image, try that, then regenerate your boot media and give that a whirl.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:39 PM
  • It may very well be missing nic / storage drivers.  Are you using WAIK or ADK?

Since the logs are crucial, what you might want to do is set SLShareDynamicLogging.  This will do real-time logging to a network share instead of putting logs locally and then try and copy them up when complete.  Note that this should never be used on a production system as it has bandwidth and network implications (since it's real-time debug logging).  But in the event enough is going wrong that you can't get to log files, this can hopefully help you get enough log files to start tracking down what's going wrong.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you both for answering.

ccatlett_sogeti:

I didn't seem to have Windows Deployment Services installed on my server. I just installed it and added WinPE boot files as bootimage according to this guide: http://blogs.technet.com/b/manojnair/archive/2011/11/23/exploring-mdt-2012-beta-2-part-6-of-10-integrating-mdt-2012-beta-2-with-windows-deployment-services-wds.aspx

Is that correct?

Keep in mind that I don't use PXE at the moment, if that makes any difference :)

David:

I will try to add SLShareDynamicLogging. I set it like this - hope it's correct:

SLShareDynamicLogging =\\MDTSERVER\DeploymentShare$\Logs\%ComputerName%

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:16 AM
  • I've just tried again and it still fails the same way.

This time, because of SLShareDynamicLogging i got a log out of it! Hope it can tell u something, because I just looked at it with Trace32, but can't see any errors - still don't know much about it and how it should look :)

You can find the log here: www.jaded.dk/bdd.log

Thanks

Morten

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Hi Morten,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so could you share the solution. I have the same problem and cannot seem to get it working. Thank you.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:46 AM
  • I've just tried again and it still fails the same way.

This time, because of SLShareDynamicLogging i got a log out of it! Hope it can tell u something, because I just looked at it with Trace32, but can't see any errors - still don't know much about it and how it should look :)

You can find the log here: www.jaded.dk/bdd.log

Thanks

Morten

Hi Morten,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so could you share the solution. I have the same problem and cannot seem to get it working. Thank you.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Hello I have the same problem, restart followed, I would like you to help me when I get "solution acelerators" my virtual machine restarts and can not do anything that you find solution to this? I hope help me'm frustrated
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

I Have as well this problem. www.jaded.dk/bdd.log 

But this problem appear only If I Capture X64 Machine. X86 is working Fine

Thanks for your solution,

Simon

Thursday, July 16, 2015 8:18 AM
  • oh! thanks for response.

This problem was solution installing AIK to Win8.1 , then capture well the images.

It is the solution that I could find

Saturday, December 12, 2015 8:31 PM