compatibility files RRS feed

• Question

• In windows 7 How do you find compatibility files for a program? is there another way other then clicking on the
    program file in  Windows explorer (Documents folder) It was no problem finding these files in windows xp and
    previus windows. 
    • Edited by Cayotee Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:14 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:41 PM

Answers

• To my knowledge, Windows 7 stores the compatibility files in a “Virtual Store” under the AppData store in your user folder. The location is:

%SystemDrive%\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

However, you don’t need to hunt around for the files, just turn on “Compatibility Files” in Explorer. When you browse to a folder that has these hidden files, you’ll see a Compatibility Files toolbar button. Clicking it will show the virtual files for that folder. Keep in mind, though, that the files won’t show up in Open and Save dialogs.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can find it here:

Control Panel->Default Programs->Associate a file type or protocol with a program

If this is not what you mean, could you clarify what compatibility files can be find in windows XP?

Friday, January 22, 2010 10:14 AM
  • To my knowledge, Windows 7 stores the compatibility files in a “Virtual Store” under the AppData store in your user folder. The location is:

%SystemDrive%\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

However, you don’t need to hunt around for the files, just turn on “Compatibility Files” in Explorer. When you browse to a folder that has these hidden files, you’ll see a Compatibility Files toolbar button. Clicking it will show the virtual files for that folder. Keep in mind, though, that the files won’t show up in Open and Save dialogs.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:34 AM
  • I download data files from a POS program at the store (Windows xp)   the Data files show up in the program.
    I then want to put them on the office computer (Windows 7) the data file are not in the program, but somewhere else
    in Campatability files. Why??
    Thank you
    Ben
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Dale

You blithly say

just turn on “Compatibility Files” in Explorer

But how do I turn them on?  That is what I can't figure out.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I have this same type issue. My data files are being put in the compatibility files. Why??
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I have this same type issue. My data files are being put in the compatibility files. Why??

answered in your topic. the app is not UAC compatible.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Thanks Andre!
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:27 PM