How do I reduce line spacing for the "details" view of Win 7 Explorer RRS feed

• General discussion

• The change to the human interface for the Windows 7 Windows Explorer's detail view is a major step backward as it makes unwieldy maintenance of disks/folders containing many subfolders and files. 

Is there any approved way for a customer to modify his/her explorer file to reduce the line spacing for the detail view? 

I have converted my Vista computers to Windows 7, however I'm beginning to regret this move.

For productivity purposes, I will either revert to Vista (which became a rather stable system) or retain my Windows XP computers to support file maintenance. 

Are there any suitable third-party plug-in alternatives to Microsoft's Windows explorer that will solve this problem? 

Some people have suggested that this line spacing problem is associated with the ICON size.  I would be just as happy if you removed the file ICON completely and reduced the folder ICON to the barest minimum.

• Changed type Carey FrischMVP Saturday, December 25, 2010 7:10 AM Comment Mode
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:16 AM

All replies

• It is possible to correct MS' built-in productivity bottleneck by editing ExplorerFrame.dll (located in Windows\System32) to change view layout parameters.  This change is well outlined in:

Go Back Windows 7 Forums > Windows 7 help and support > Customization » possible to change list item height/spacing?

My thanks to the many contributers that researched and developed the fixes. 

Hopefully Microsoft will make these simple changes to Windows 7 Explorer a permanent enhancement.  Doing so will prevent many organizations that actually use their computers for real work from reverting to Vista or Windows XP to accomplish tasks that were previously simple.  Failure to address these small, but troubling glitches in the Windows 7 product is self distructive. 

Saturday, December 25, 2010 6:30 AM
  • This registry tweak is actually for another option (disable autoarrange) in the explorer options but it also CHANGES THE LINE SPACING!!!!!

For XP line spacing to work the properties of the folder should be "General" and there should be no spaces in the name of the parent folder.

Go to http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-7/ and download 'disable-auto-arrange.zip'. This will add the option to disable autoarrange to your right click menu in explorer but something in the settings also changed my line spacing.

Back up your registry; there is an undo file included in case you want to remove it.

• Edited by Jamesdensley Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:56 AM