none
Assigning a task to a resource without pay but includes standard rate. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have assigned a resouce a rate of $50/hr with the name Jim. Now, Jim works 8 hours a day and makes $400 a day. I know of course how to assign Jim to a task but my problem is how do I assign him to a task one day if he works 8 hrs and he NOT allowed or cannot get paid for that day without without affecting the "Work Column" hours and buts affects the "Cost" column (therefore, not charging $400 to the total cost)?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:24 PM

Answers

• trini_man,

I don't quite understand why a resource would have a standard rate but then not pay him.

I can think of three ways to do this. Method one is to simply change his standard rate to $0/hr.

Method two is to create two versions of that resource (e.g. Bob-1 and Bob-2). The rate for the first is $50/hr and the rate for the second is $0/hr.

Method three is to use a second cost rate table. For example the standard rate is Table A, found under Resource/Properties group/Resource Information/Costs tab. By default, the other rate tables (i.e. B through E) are all $0/hr. In the Resource Usage view, add the Cost Rate Table field as a column. For those assignments that the resource will be paid, use cost rate table A. For those assignments that the resource will not be paid use cost rate table B.

John

• Marked as answer by trini_man Friday, March 15, 2013 7:51 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Adding to excellent methods suggested by John, I'm assuming that you want to assign Jim to a 5 days task with work of 8 hrs and want the cost to show just 400$ and not 8hrs X 5d X 50$ i.e. 2000$; if this is the case - then you can type 8hrs in Work and 5d in duration, this will assign Jim with reduced assignment units, which you can modify if needed based on the need. This will calculate cost just on 8 hrs of work, or whatever hours you increase/decrease in Work field.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Type 8hrs in Work Column and 5d in Duration, now assign Jim.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:22 PM

All replies

• trini_man,

I understand everything in the first two sentences but after that I'm totally lost. Try again with your question to make it more clear as to what you are asking.

John

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hello John,

1. Jim is assigned a rate of $50/hr

2. Jim's task will take about 5 days to complete because of the approval process or whatever

3. Jim's work however, is only 8 hrs.

My question is how do I set Jim's task to be 5 days of duration and 5 hrs of work?

• Edited by trini_man Friday, March 15, 2013 4:04 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 3:30 PM
  • trini_man,

I don't quite understand why a resource would have a standard rate but then not pay him.

I can think of three ways to do this. Method one is to simply change his standard rate to $0/hr.

Method two is to create two versions of that resource (e.g. Bob-1 and Bob-2). The rate for the first is $50/hr and the rate for the second is $0/hr.

Method three is to use a second cost rate table. For example the standard rate is Table A, found under Resource/Properties group/Resource Information/Costs tab. By default, the other rate tables (i.e. B through E) are all $0/hr. In the Resource Usage view, add the Cost Rate Table field as a column. For those assignments that the resource will be paid, use cost rate table A. For those assignments that the resource will not be paid use cost rate table B.

John

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Adding to excellent methods suggested by John, I'm assuming that you want to assign Jim to a 5 days task with work of 8 hrs and want the cost to show just 400$ and not 8hrs X 5d X 50$ i.e. 2000$; if this is the case - then you can type 8hrs in Work and 5d in duration, this will assign Jim with reduced assignment units, which you can modify if needed based on the need. This will calculate cost just on 8 hrs of work, or whatever hours you increase/decrease in Work field.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:34 PM
  • When I type in 5 days of work the duration automatically updates.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Type 8hrs in Work Column and 5d in Duration, now assign Jim.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Hmmm Funny thing it works not before it would automatically update the work when duration was adjusted and vice versa. Anyways,I assume that you could accomplish the same thing using Lag time?
    Friday, March 15, 2013 7:50 PM
  • trini_man,

Okay, now I understand. What you want is a fixed duration task. Set the task for 5 days duration and Work for 8 hours. Jim's effort (8 hours) will be linearly spread over the 5 days. If you want to change that spread, you can do so in the Resource Usage view by adjusting the assignment hours for Jim in each of the 5 days (e.g. 2 hours the first day, zero hours for days 2 & 3, then 3 hours each on days 4 and 5).

And no, this is no a case where you would use lag time.

John

Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:55 AM