none
Disabling Windows defender on windows 10 pro ver 10.0.16299 ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 pro . If I disable through registry/control pannel still all defender services are running . I can't stop the services either as they are greyed out/dim, even when I am logged in as local admin. 

how can I disable it completely ?

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you cant to disable the services, turn off the whole Security center via to the following registry entry:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService

Set the start value to 3.

Go to Task Manager, Startup, right click on Windows Defender Notification icon, click Disable and restart the computer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 4, 2018 2:25 AM
  • V sorry for late response but its not working.. I applied regedit fix and also disabled from startup . but defender services are still running . I can't stop/disable defender service even under local admin login. I can't change services login account as its dim/greydout under services. any thoughts on this please   
    Monday, June 25, 2018 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

Please confirm your current build:

1. WIN+R.

2. Type winver, press Enter.

Based on my test, I works fine on Windows 10 1709 machine, but not working on Windows 10 1803.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Windows 10 version 1709 (OS build 16299.492)
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:39 PM
  • Yes, some of works on build 16299.461. And I have done test on 16299.492, it indeed doesn't work any more, either on Windows 10 1803 all builds.

No other way to stop it as far as I known.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:19 AM