none
Traffic Light at the Project Center Level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am currently using a customized traffic light field in MS Project 2010 and MS Project Server 2010.  Currently the field is only visible in the project's timeline level.  To see the overall project status, a person can look a the Project Summary Task.  Is it possible to also show the same field at the Project Center level on the server so that someone doesn't need to open up each project to look at the overall project status?  Here is the link to the site in which I have pulled the field customization from. 

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=27

There website appears to be really slow today.

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:13 PM

Answers

• Rene,

I was able to get it to work.  Some of the settings weren't quite right.  Here are the steps that I took to correct it.

1) Create a customized project field
    - Go to Server Settings > Enterprise Data > Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables > New Field button
    - Type in the new field Name (Project Traffic Light)
    - Entity and Type > Entity = Project > Type = Text
    - Custom Attributes = formula (you must create the task level Traffic Light first)
    - enter the formula or use the Pick field button to select the Traffic Light field that you created.  The code field should look like this.  The code is just referring back to the other field and making them equal to the Traffic Light task level field.

[code] (Traffic Light) [/code]

- Value to Display = Graphical indicators
    - Criteria for = non-summary rows
    - use the same graphical indicators that you used to create the Traffic Light task field
    - Press the Save button

2) To add the newly created Project Traffic Light field to the Project Center
    - Server Settings > Look and Feel > Manage Views > Project Center > Summary
    - Under the Table and Fields option add the Project Traffic Light field
    - Press the Save button

3) Display the Project Traffic Light field to the Project Center view
    - Project Center
    - Hover over one of the columns till it shows the the black downward facing arrow
    - Click the arrow
    - Click Configure Columns...
    - Check the Project Traffic Light box
    - Press the OK button

The Project Traffic Light column will now be displayed.  You will need close MS Project Pro, re-open the projects, add the Traffic Light and Project Traffic Light columns, re-save and re-publish the projects after setting a baseline for the indicator to be displayed properly.

Enjoy!

• Marked as answer by en1701d Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:53 PM

All replies

• Basically, this formula custom field is at the task level. Project Center is at the Project level so the data needs to come up a level. The easiest thing to do is to define a Project formula custom field that references the Task custom field you've defined. The Project custom field can then be added to a Project Center view.

Hope that helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Thanks Treb!  I'm really a novice at this.  How can I go about making the connection from the task level to the project level?  What are the steps?

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Hello Mike,

It's easy enough:

Let's say your task-level traffic light is named "Traffic light". If you are seeing this field at the Project Summary Task, all you need to do is create a new Project custom field named for example "Project traffic light" (it cannot have the same name as the task custom field) and set the formula to: [Traffic light].

Yes, just the name of the field. Project will take then the value at the Project Summary Task and copy it to the Project level. Now you can redefine the graphical indicators to match those in your task level custom field.

Hope it helps,

René Alvares

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Rene,

Could you provide me step by step instructions?  I'm not sure how to link the project summary of the Traffic Light field (task level) to creating the Project Traffic Light field (project level).  Thank you!

Mike

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Sure Mike.

First you need to make sure the traffic light is working at the task level as it should. This means, that in a project schedule in Project Pro you can see the graphical indicator at the Project Summary Task (Task 0) like this:

As you can see, I have two of these traffic lights defined here.

Then, you need to create the Traffic light at the project level by setting it to be a calculated field like this:

The formula for the project-level field is just the name of the task-level field.

With this, you will have the same value you can see in the Project Summary Task now available to Project Center views and for reporting purposes.

Please let me know if you have any problems building this traffic light or if you need a more 1-on-1 support.

Rene Alvarez

• Edited by René Alvarez Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by René Alvarez Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Hi Rene,

Your images aren't showing up.

Mike

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Yes, my mistake.

You should be able to see them.

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Ok there they are.

I've created the working task level Traffic Light field.  Here are the steps that I am taking to try and create the project level field.

In MS Project Pro (edited)

Project tab > Custom Fields > Click Project radio button >

when I attempt to create a new field, everything is greyed out.  Any ideas of what is going on?

Thanks,

Mike

• Edited by en1701d Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Mike,

You need to create this field from within PWA. In Project Pro you cannot create this field level.

Go to your PWA site, then locate in the menu the link to Server Settings.

From there, locate the group "Enterprise data" and the first link is "Custom fields and lookup tables".

In there you will see the list of enterprise custom fields and you will be able to create your project-level field.

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:52 PM
  • So I can create the field in the PWA as a project field and it shows up as a column in the Gantt Chart (MS Project Pro), but the summary task for Project Traffic Light doesn't show the value that is in the Traffic Light field.  Also if I go to Project Center and attempt to add the column there, it isn't an option.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Make sure you are seeing the graphical indicator in any other task. If you cannot see the traffic light at the Project Summary Task (Task 0), change the definition of this field (in PWA) and set it to be used at the "Summary and Group rows". This will show up the value to any summary task in your project plan including the Project Summary Task.

To show this new project-level field, you need to change an existing view or create a new one.

In PWA go to Server settings -> Look and feel -> Manage views.

I recommend create new views instead of changing the default ones. Locate a Project Center view (Tracking for example) and copy it to a new view (Project status for example).

Now click on the name of your new view and from there you should be able to add the traffic light to the view (the one you defined at the project level).

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Rene,

Ok so in the Summary Task view (line 0) in both MS Project Pro and PWA I can see the indicator for the Traffic Light Field.  I now have the Project Traffic Light field in the Project Center but it isn't showing the value in the Traffic Light Summary Task for the projects.  What did I miss?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Mike,

You need to save and publish your project to see that value in PWA.

Before you do that, in Project Pro, you should be able to see the value of the field if you click on the "Project information" button in the Project tab.

You should see a list of custom fields at the project-level and see that this field has the same value you are seeing in the Gantt Chart. It will not display a traffic light but the value itself. It is then converted to a graphical indicator when it is used in a PWA view.

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:19 PM
  • Rene,

I saved and published the test project and the Traffic Light field is still showing up correctly in MS Project Pro and WPA (Task 0, 1 ...) which is great.  The Project Traffic Light field has the Task 1 field working but not the Summary Task.

I checked the Project Info screen and neither the Traffic Light or Project Traffic Light fields are showing.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:28 PM
  • You need to close and reopen Project Pro when changing enterprise custom fields.

Close Project Pro and reopen your project. Check if custom fields are shown.

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Rene,

I was able to get it to work.  Some of the settings weren't quite right.  Here are the steps that I took to correct it.

1) Create a customized project field
    - Go to Server Settings > Enterprise Data > Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables > New Field button
    - Type in the new field Name (Project Traffic Light)
    - Entity and Type > Entity = Project > Type = Text
    - Custom Attributes = formula (you must create the task level Traffic Light first)
    - enter the formula or use the Pick field button to select the Traffic Light field that you created.  The code field should look like this.  The code is just referring back to the other field and making them equal to the Traffic Light task level field.

[code] (Traffic Light) [/code]

- Value to Display = Graphical indicators
    - Criteria for = non-summary rows
    - use the same graphical indicators that you used to create the Traffic Light task field
    - Press the Save button

2) To add the newly created Project Traffic Light field to the Project Center
    - Server Settings > Look and Feel > Manage Views > Project Center > Summary
    - Under the Table and Fields option add the Project Traffic Light field
    - Press the Save button

3) Display the Project Traffic Light field to the Project Center view
    - Project Center
    - Hover over one of the columns till it shows the the black downward facing arrow
    - Click the arrow
    - Click Configure Columns...
    - Check the Project Traffic Light box
    - Press the OK button

The Project Traffic Light column will now be displayed.  You will need close MS Project Pro, re-open the projects, add the Traffic Light and Project Traffic Light columns, re-save and re-publish the projects after setting a baseline for the indicator to be displayed properly.

Enjoy!

• Marked as answer by en1701d Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:53 PM
  • I'm glad you manage to solve it.

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Thank you for all the help!

Mike

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:34 PM