none
DPM 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 server without virtualization support RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of installing a two node Hyper-V cluster that will utilise Live Migration. I have two DPM Enterprise licenses for backing it up. The problem is that the server where DPM will be installed on doesn't support virtualization and as such I'm unable to install Hyper-V.

I've recently been informed that I need Hyper-V for Item Level Recovery. Since getting a new server right now is not an option, I'm wondering if I'll be losing anything in addition to ILR? Will everything else (CSV backup) work? I assume I can easily mount the backed up .vhd and recover files that way, but I'm more worried about Exchange and recovering a mailbox and such.

Any suggestions as to how you'd deal with this situation (for as long as it might last before a new server is ordered - won't be anytime soon).

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hi

The big thing that Microsoft released with DPM 2010 is the CSV support and ILR for Hyper-V servers. If your DPM server doesn't support the installation of the Hyper-V Role you can still back the virtual machines but you wont be able to perform a ILR.

When your new hardware arrives you wil be able to migrate the DPM "function" from the old server hardware to the new server hardware.

Regarding the retore of Exchange you must have an Enterprice agent installed in the Exchange Server to get the backup for Exchange, it wont do with just a Enterprice license on one of your Hyper-V nodes.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi

The big thing that Microsoft released with DPM 2010 is the CSV support and ILR for Hyper-V servers. If your DPM server doesn't support the installation of the Hyper-V Role you can still back the virtual machines but you wont be able to perform a ILR.

When your new hardware arrives you wil be able to migrate the DPM "function" from the old server hardware to the new server hardware.

Regarding the retore of Exchange you must have an Enterprice agent installed in the Exchange Server to get the backup for Exchange, it wont do with just a Enterprice license on one of your Hyper-V nodes.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

As long as I still get full CSV support. I'll deal with backing up the VMs and mounting the .vhd's manually when needed.

For Exchange I'll probably use the native backup function of Windows Server 2008 R2. Didn't know I needed a seperate Enterprise licence to backup Exchange...I was really looking forward to doing a single mailbox restore easily...but will have to wait a bit longer for it.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Hi

If you want to protect the Exchange store and be able to do a restore for a mailbox you must have a explicit Enterprice agent installed on the Exchange server. It won't do with just a Enterprice agent installed on your Hyper-V host.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Friday, August 27, 2010 7:00 AM
  • I understand that now, but an Enterprise license for Exchange won't do me any good right now since I don't have a Hyper-V capable machine so I won't be able to recover a single mail, mailbox. Or am I wrong?
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:48 AM
  • You install one Enterprice agent on the Hyper-V host to protect it's guests. From that backup you can preform ILR. If you want to protect your Exchange enviroment you must also install an enterprice agent on the Exchange server.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Thank you, I'll make every effort to install DPM on a server that supports virtualization, but that won't happen for quite some time. In the mean time I'll have to live with backing up using the native Windows Server functionality (both for Exchange and other servers).

Monday, August 30, 2010 6:00 AM