Photoshop 7 (and any other legacy software) installed on Windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've read some mixed comments about this so not sure what the definitive answer is.

Does Photoshop 7 work on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ?

Is it the installation I will have trouble with (16 bit installer) or is it actually using the software.  I've heard of people installing it okay on 64 bit (some create a .msi package on a XP machine then use that to install on a W7 machine) and some have installed it okay without any problems direct from disc.

I assume, worst case, I could download "virtual pc" and install my old copy of XP and install it on there.  Not too keen on this approach as XP is quite big.

Any suggestions to get legacy software installed is much appreciated.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

You can check the compatibility in Windows Compatibility Center. It seems Photoshop 7 is not compatible with Windows 7.

Since your Windows 7 version is Home Premium, you cannot install the Windows XP Mode. If you really want to install that application, a dual boot is the best for you. You can run both Windows XP and Windows 7 on your computer, and install Photoshop 7 on your Windows XP system.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:42 AM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 8:22 AM

All replies

• This is the way some people have installed legacy software on W7 64 bit - do you reckon it will work ?

I have recently got a new computer with 64bit Windows 7
    Surprisingly most of my applications worked without a hitch even older programs like Microsoft Office 2000 But I couldn't get Photoshop 7 to install.
    Now I found out that Photoshop 7 itself is a 32bit program, but the installer is 16 bit and therefor not compatible with 64 bit operating systems.
    So if I could get it to install then it should run fine.
    After searching the internet for a while I came across a utility Microsoft used to include in Windows 2000 Advanced Server that allows you to make new .msi installer packages for your older software. Hmmm, maybe this might work.
    Now Microsoft has stopped supporting WinInstall LE but a new company has taken it on: http://www.scalable.com/
    For this package;
    - you need another computer (or dual boot) with a 32bit operating system like Windows 2000 / XP / Vista or even 32bit Windows 7. As long as it's 32 bit.
    - the 32 bit computer CANNOT have the program you wish to install (in my case Photoshop 7) currently installed on it. The system needs to be clean.
    - Install WinINSTALL LE (get it for free from http://www.scalable.com/wininstall ) and then run it following its prompts
    - Let WinInstall LE scan your system
    - Install your program when prompted ( Photoshop 7 )
    - Let WinINSTALL do a "POST INSTALLATION" scan. It will now create a new installation package for you.
    Congrats, you can take this post installation package and install it on Windows 7 64bit

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

You can check the compatibility in Windows Compatibility Center. It seems Photoshop 7 is not compatible with Windows 7.

Since your Windows 7 version is Home Premium, you cannot install the Windows XP Mode. If you really want to install that application, a dual boot is the best for you. You can run both Windows XP and Windows 7 on your computer, and install Photoshop 7 on your Windows XP system.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:42 AM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 8:22 AM