[Fixed] US Gov't CaC Cards Not Recognized RRS feed

• General discussion

• As of build 9860, this issue is fixed!

---------------------------------------------------

// I have already posted this using the formal feedback tool //

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise does not properly read US Government CaC cards.  Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 natively could sans any third party applications.  It’s not a reader or hardware issue as the same CaC card was used on the same hardware with Windows 8.1 (just a couple of days ago prior to installing Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise).

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:50 PM

All replies

• DarienHawk67,

If you have more than one type of smart card reader, try using it instead of the current one.  It’s possible that it’s a compatibility issue with the reader itself. 

You could also try manually reinstalling the smart card reader driver.  Make sure you use the latest driver available for Windows 8.1.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Friday, October 10, 2014 2:14 PM
  • I've done that.  One three separate machines with different smart card readers (laptops with internal readers and with external readers), Windows 10 Technical Preview fails to properly see DoD CaC certificates on the card.  Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 natively can recognize the cards and import the certificates into the user's personal certificate store.  According to device manager, all of the drivers are installed and the device is properly working.

It's import to keep in mind that this is based on a clean install.  I will have to see if using a third-party middleware application--in our case ActivClient 6.2.195 or ActivClient 7.0.2--has the same results.

Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:34 PM
  • I have a Gemalto reader and it comes up with all versions of Windows fine. 

What card reader are you using, you may need to manually find drivers

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!
    Vegan Advocate How can you be an environmentalist and still eat meat?

Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:01 PM
  • // I have already posted this using the formal feedback tool //

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise does not properly read US Government CaC cards.  Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 natively could sans any third party applications.  It’s not a reader or hardware issue as the same CaC card was used on the same hardware with Windows 8.1 (just a couple of days ago prior to installing Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise).

A couple of things to check:

1. With the card inserted into the reader, does the card itself show in Device Manager?
    2. Again with the card inserted, run certutil -scinfo and post the results.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:27 AM
  • // I have already posted this using the formal feedback tool //

A couple of things to check:

1. With the card inserted into the reader, does the card itself show in Device Manager?
    2. Again with the card inserted, run certutil -scinfo and post the results.

If you look at the screenshot, the card is not being shown at all in the OP's device manager

mine shows as smart card device

Gemalto again, at least with my personal setup

so I am wondering what reader and what card is being used, he may need new drivers

Gemalto is what most ATM machines use today, at least what I have seen

'

Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:27 PM
  • If you look at the screenshot, the card is not being shown at all in the OP's device manager

mine shows as smart card device

Gemalto again, at least with my personal setup

so I am wondering what reader and what card is being used, he may need new drivers

Gemalto is what most ATM machines use today, at least what I have seen

'

I did look at the screenshot. I do this for a living. If the card is not inserted, there won't be a Smart Card node in Device Manager.

The vendor for debit and credit cards obviously has nothing at all to do with this thread.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:43 PM
  • I did not recognize the reader brand

you need additional software with my reader to read bank cards

my reader is flexible, it can do access control too

like opening doors etc or even internet card present transactions

Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:50 PM
  • I did not recognize the reader brand

my reader is flexible, it can do access control too

like opening doors etc or even internet card present transactions

Which proves my point that you really shouldn't be involved in troubleshooting this issue. O2 Micro, along with Broadcomm are probably the two most widely used smart card reader chipsets currently in use for integrated readers.

That must be quite the magical smart card reader you have if the reader, rather than the card, is able to unlock doors.

I'm going ask politely, even though I know that it is probably futile, to leave troubleshooting this issue to those of us who actually do smart card and PKI deployments. The simple fact that you may have a card and a reader, and that you may use them, does not qualify you to be able to troubleshoot this problem. I use applications and programs daily but I would never presume to help troubleshoot a programming problem.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:50 PM
  • I will leave this to somebody who has other card readers and cards, as mine work.

The OP should contact the vendor for their hardware seeking updated drivers

Monday, October 13, 2014 12:20 AM
  • I will leave this to somebody who has other card readers and cards, as mine work.

The OP should contact the vendor for their hardware seeking updated drivers

This likely has nothing at all to do with drivers. It is more likely a trust problem with the certificate(s) on the card and/or a cryptographic service provider problem.

BTW - thanks Carey. :-)

Monday, October 13, 2014 4:56 AM
  • when I insert a valid card, it comes up normally

a bank card shows as a device but with no working drivers, but the class is recognized

when I installed software for the bank it worked fine, that is due to the security layers banks up here use for protecting chip and pin cards

Monday, October 13, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Let me add some additional detail.  There is nothing wrong with the reader(s).  All of them work properly with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 (and the server variants).  It's not, probably not, a driver issue as the card itself is recognized.

For those who may not know, U.S. Gov't CAC (Common Access Card) differs slightly from typical smart cards.  The post was to inform that Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise (in it's early release iteration as it stands now) does not properly recognize CAC cards and is currently unable to read and import the certificates into the user's certificate store.

This is feedback for the Windows team to let them know what is happening in the real world.  This may be something MSFT already knows about.  By no means am I worried as I am 100% sure this will be fixed and addressed with a later update or release.

Monday, October 13, 2014 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for posting that screenshot, it clarifies everything

indeed it looks like the card is being rejected for one reason or another

that means could be server related or certificate etc

maybe your certificate authority can enroll the card fresh?

Monday, October 13, 2014 1:45 PM
  • With build 9860, this issue is fixed and no longer a problem!
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:02 PM
  • With build 10049 this problem persist again :( Virtual smart cards are also affected.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:22 AM