none
Cannot open in MS Project (neither project nor resource nor schedule) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a blocking problem in Project Server 2016 - it is consistently not allowing me to open anything in local MS Project.

Problems:

• Click "Open in Microsoft Project for Editing":  nothing happens
    • Click the icon in Project Center:  nothing happens
    • Resource Center:  Open:  opens MS Project, gives an error "Cannot open project"
    • Edit Enterprise Calendar: "This action couldn't be performed because Office doesn't recognize the command it was given"

Basically, it seems a confusing mess and I have no idea why this is happening.

Things tried so far:

• Patching MS Project - no change
    • Patching Project Server - no change
    • Modifying the minimum Build Number of MS Project that is allowed to connect - no change

I am exhausted with searching for solutions, and all my searching for similar problems or solutions is fruitless.

This is now blocking, since I cannot edit resources or edit enterprise calendars.

Please I hope someone here might have some advice on what on earth is going on.

Many thanks.

Friday, September 29, 2017 8:22 AM

All replies

• Nicodemus88 --

One of our clients ran into this problem as well.  With the assistance of Microsoft Support, we were able to help them get the problem resolved.  The solution for them, and hopefully for you, would be this:

A patch to the Protocol Handler Feb 9, 2017 KB2910954.  This requires the Project Update Feb 9, 2017 KB3114714.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:48 PM
  • One other point.   Make sure your version of project professional (not standard) has been configured to open PWA.  Those options you specified will not work until project professional has been configured.

From project professional

File / info / Manage accounts and then restart project professional.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for your suggestion but it does not help.

I've applied all patches to MS Project, and now also the Protocol Handler you recommend.

The whole system is borked, same as always.

• Cannot edit resources
    • Cannot edit Calendars
    • Can only open projects from MS Project Pro directly

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Thanks Michael,

Those basics are covered. I definitely have a connection to the system.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Nicodemus88 --

Given the fact that none of our suggestions have resolved the problem, I would recommend you open an incident with Microsoft Support.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:19 PM