People Picker works on one webapp, displays hourglass forever on other (SharePoint 2007) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

we have a SP2007 farm with several web applications. we have recently created another webapp (say A1), that runs on the same application pool as another (say A2). we have configured people picker on both applications, as usual for another domain:

stsadm -o setapppassword -password <password>

, on every wfe, and

stsadm -o setproperty -pn peoplepicker-searchadforests "domain:other.domain.here,user,password"

on one wfe.

iisreset on all wfe

it works on A2, with very fast response times (below 1s), but not on A1, where any peoplepicker dialog displays an hourglass forever, after entering a name and clicking on check names. I have checked with getproperty that both webapps have exactly the same property names and values.

nothing on the event viewer, nothing understandable on the ULS logs.

what most bugs me is that it works on other webapplications, so that would point to a wrong per-webapp setting, but this webapp A1 runs with the same credentials (on the same application pool, in fact) that A2. is there any other per-application setting that could make the difference?

Any suggestions? using network monitor could be out of our reach, but if this is the only solution, could someone please give us some hints?

Many thanks

Roberto

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:39 AM

All replies

• Dear Roberto,

I suppose that A1/A2 could be accessed, only the People Picker is not working on A1. You `d like to use the People Picker for the both daomain users. Please check if they are trused or not, and verify if you get use profile of another doamin. It seems that the issue is not only related to settings of SP server.

For your reference: http://metahat.blogspot.com/2007/06/people-picker-in-moss-2007-unable-to.html

Best regards,

Jimi Zhao
    Partner Online Technical Community
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We hope you get value from our new forums platform! Tell us what you think:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Thanks Jimi. I confirm, both applications can be accessed, just the People Picker is not working on A1. There is a 2-way trust between both domains, and both applications share exactly the same configuration.  the fact that it works on A2, (same farm, same servers) makes me think that the problem is somehow on the application...

Regarding your link, the problem is a bit different, as our problem is that PeoplePicker does not give us an error but it "hangs", so unfortunately it didn't help much.

Thanks anyway!

• Proposed as answer by Jimi Zhao Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jimi Zhao Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:10 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:00 AM

• Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your update.

I understand that the People Picker is working on A2(All users appear under the A2 site). Althought both of applications have the same configuration on SP server/IIS , the fact that it is broke on A1 site, and the "hangs" appears for a long time without error when using the People Picker. If I have any misunderstood about your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

The configuration on SP of the two APPs are the same, so i want to know if there is something different in the network between the A1 and A2.

Please let me know if the issue occurs on internet or intranet. Please verify whether some sepcial settings (firewall/proxy) block the A1 site. This is a bit complex, you may contact your network administrator.

If anything needs to be replenished, please let me know. We will try our best to help you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jimi Zhao
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Hi Jimi,

Yes, your understanding is correct. both applications have the same configuration on SP server and on IIS (in fact they share the same IIS application pool, thus same identities).

The configurations on the two apps are the same: the issue occurs on intranet, both applications have parallel AAM definitions (urls and zones), and run on the same servers of the farm. there is no firewall or proxy among the server and the AD servers.

It would also help if I knew how to start debugging, but I do not have an idea....

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:58 AM

• Hi Roberto,

As you said that the issue occurs in intranet, and no firewall/proxy are used on the network. Based on my analysis, the issue may be related to some settings of application pool sharing.

I am not sure whether you are convenient to perform following troubleshooting steps or not :

1.Create a new web application A3 and a team site collection, also this base on the same application pool. Verify if the issue could be reproduced or not.

2.Create some new Web Apps B1,B2 with using the another same Application pool. verify if the issue still appears or not.

Additionally, if this is a test environment on your side, please let me know if it is convenient to remove the A1 to a separate application pool or not, and then reproduce the issue again on A1.

All of above only are some suggestions. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jimi Zhao
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Hi jimi,

we'd like to avoid creating a new third application. after all, in this case it would maybe easier to erase the webapp and recreate it, after backing up the sitecollection. however, it is a production platform and we wouldn't like to alter it very much.

at the end, what we want is to know what exactly is happening and why the thing does not work, just in case it starts to happen with another, more important, web application.

Regards

Roberto

Friday, February 25, 2011 1:06 PM