vista task bar RRS feed

• Question

• I had an icon for a program in the notification area but can`t seem to find out how to  get it back in the quick launch  taskbar.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 10:15 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

This is because only administrator accounts have the privileges to install updates.

It is normal. Please feel free.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:05 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Find the program executive file and drag it onto the Quick Launch bar. For example, if you would like to add the Outlook icon to the Quick Launch bar, you can drag OUTLOOK.EXE onto the Quick Launch bar directly.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:01 AM
  • I think you mssed it that I wanted to put it back in the notification area not quick launch which is next to the start button.

Drag and drop does not work there.

I shouldn`t have mentioned the quick launch area.

Monday, September 8, 2008 2:30 PM
  • Hi Esrman

The ability to place an icon for a program in the Notification Area is a function of each individual program, not Windows.

If the program is able to display it's icon in the Notification Area, there is usually an option in the programs settings that will enable this function. It could be that the program lost this setting or is malfunctioning.

Check the programs options first and look for a setting such as 'Minimize to tray' or something similar.

It could also be that you have the Notification Area settings set to the optional "Hide inactive icons". If this option is enabled, a programs icon can disappear if the program is not used for a period of time.

Right click the Taskbar and select Properties / Notification Area tab. If the 'Hide inactive icons' option is selected, click the 'Customize' button. If you see that programs icon there, select it and click the drop down menu under 'Behavior'. Select the 'Show' option and this will prevent the icon from being hidden.

If the 'Hide Inactive Icons' check box is not selected, select it and repeat the same procedure.

Let us know what you find.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, September 8, 2008 5:33 PM
  • The icon thats missing is the notification of updates which was there before and now is gone.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:53 AM
  • Esrman

Which option do you have set for Windows Update Notifications?

You basically have 4 options.

1. Automatic:  This option will download and install any available updates.

2. Download and notify: This option will download any availabe updates and notifiy you that there are ready to download and install.

3. Notify you that updates are available: This option will simply notify you that updates are available and can choose when to download and install them.

4. Turn Off Windows Update: This option completely turns Windows Update off. You will not be notified about any updates.

The Notification Area icon only appears 'if' there are updates available and then only if one of the first 3 optional settings are selected. It will disappear as soon as the updates are installed and you either close Windows Update or reboot the computer.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:19 AM
  • Hi,

If it still does not work, I would like to confirm if the icon you mentioned is a Automatic Updates icon. Was it yellow or red?

If it is not a Automatic Updates icon, you can try a System Restore or reinstall that program.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:05 AM
  • The thing is if I go into Admin account ,the icon is there.Just not there anymore in user account.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:04 PM
  •  

Hi,

This is because only administrator accounts have the privileges to install updates.

It is normal. Please feel free.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Then could you please tell me how it got into the systray on a user account I created?

When I created it all I did was give it a name and a password.

Nowhere was there any question about "do you want to see when available updates are available?".

And "do you want to add a systray icon reminder for them?"

This disappeared when I had to use the disk for a system replacement.

I didn`t know E!Machines had a partition to restore the sytem like factory new.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

This icon cannot be added to when you create new accounts.

If you enable Automatic Updates and new updates are available, a yellow icon will appear automatically in the notification area in administrator accounts. If you disable Automatic Updates, a red icon will appear in the notification area in administrator accounts.

By default, we can only install updates in administrator accounts.

Now please logon on an administrator account and make sure Automatic Updates is enabled.

After that, you should have nothing to worry about Windows Update.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:50 AM