Bypassing Auto Login RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I work for a business that is starting to roll out workstations with Windows 10 but we have ran into a issue. We use Auto login to have our PC's login with a generic account then our users launch a terminal session with Citrix. The generic account has most features disabled it can basically only launch IE and Citrix.  In Windows 7 If we need to install a program or troubleshoot the PC we would Log the generic account out and hold shift at the sign in screen to bypass the Auto Login and enter our admin credentials. This worked for years in across several generations of windows products. It would seem that Windows 10 has a bug that doesn't allow this feature to work all the time i can about 1 out of 15 times get to the login screen and enter my admin account. Any ideas on better way to reliably bypass the auto login so that I can enter my admin credentials.        
    Monday, November 26, 2018 8:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try the steps below:

1. press Win + R keys to bring out Run dialog box. Then type netplwiz and press Enter key.

2. User Accounts dialog opens. Select the user (local user or Microsoft account) whose password you want to bypass on your Windows 10 login screen from the users list. Then uncheck the box next to Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, and click the Apply button.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:51 AM
  • Thank you for your  reply but this option negates what we are trying to accomplish by using Auto login. I do not want to remove auto login I just want to interrupt it and bring up the login mask like I was able to do in windows 7. Windows 10 can and will do this it is just not consistent.    
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

That should be a change in win 10. We could try the method in the link.

http://kb.thinlaunch.com/article/AA-00233/0/Shift-key-on-a-USB-keyboard-does-not-cancel-the-automatic-logon-on-Windows-10.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:35 AM