Date Range RRS feed

• Question

• I want to define From and To date as a parameter in ProClarity. Is this possible? This will be a slicer and user can enter From and To date to filter the data.

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:34 AM

Answers

• There are a variety of ways to go about this and Armondo had a great suggestion to use an MDX funtion.  This method allows you to specify time calculations within your cube (or ProClarity) that will allow your end-users to browse data from a certain point in time up through the current date.  (ie; PeriodsToDate, YTD, MTD, Last x months, etc.)  Or, you might look into using the ProClarity Selector add-in, where you will be able to filter your time periods in a step-by-step wizard that is very user friendly and effective.  The Selector add-in allows you to keep or remove time periods based on specific conditions.  

If you have further questions let us know.

Regards,

Amanda

Friday, August 1, 2008 11:37 PM

All replies

• I don't believe it is possible to implement this in ProClarity as you've described. 

You might interview your users and see if there are typical date ranges that they are interested in, such as This Month, Last Month, Last 3 Months, Last 6 Months, Last 9 Weeks, etc.  Then you can set up Views that start at one of these general time periods, and drill further into the time hierarchy as needed.

Armando

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:46 PM
  • There are a variety of ways to go about this and Armondo had a great suggestion to use an MDX funtion.  This method allows you to specify time calculations within your cube (or ProClarity) that will allow your end-users to browse data from a certain point in time up through the current date.  (ie; PeriodsToDate, YTD, MTD, Last x months, etc.)  Or, you might look into using the ProClarity Selector add-in, where you will be able to filter your time periods in a step-by-step wizard that is very user friendly and effective.  The Selector add-in allows you to keep or remove time periods based on specific conditions.  

If you have further questions let us know.

Regards,

Amanda

Friday, August 1, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Thank you...

I will keep you guys posted if i come acorss, a strange requirements from customers. Time Dynamic calcualtion is a great way to analyze data.... I will direct the customer wants (nice to have) thought into needs.

Rgs

I

Monday, August 4, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Check out this whitepaper to see if it offers you any assistance.  Thanks again to Dan Wilmot for providing this.

http://blogs.technet.com/proclarity/archive/2008/08/13/date-ranges-in-ssas-2005-and-proclarity.aspx

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:26 AM