I forgot Word Document Password RRS feed

• Question

• I have a word doc file that is password protected i lost its password . Is there any way i can open that file . i dont want to use any third party software. 
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:08 AM

Answers

• Never know who is owner. To save rights, the best way is say "sorry". No way to take it off.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP - www.VBATools.pl
    if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

• Proposed as answer by TylorWang Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, October 28, 2013 12:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:45 PM

All replies

• Never know who is owner. To save rights, the best way is say "sorry". No way to take it off.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP - www.VBATools.pl
    if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

• Proposed as answer by TylorWang Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, October 28, 2013 12:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Microsoft has added password protection capability to many features in Office programs to help prevent unauthorized access to important information. If you are unable to access information because you do not know the correct password, please realize that:
    Microsoft support professionals cannot assist you, under any circumstances, in the breaking of passwords applied to files and features in Microsoft programs.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 28, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Microsoft Support Professionals should at least be able to help me, my siblings, and our probate attorney figure out who to contact and/or subpoena at Microsoft so we can access our recently departed sister's documents.  She died unexpectedly with no will.  My youngest brother will become executor soon.  We believe her password protected Word documents may contain useful information such as passwords for her bank account, etc.

All of the answers I have read here for this type of question ignore the fact that there are completely legitimate reasons someone may need to access another person's password protected document.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 11:11 PM
  • No one here can or will help you simply because there is no way of verifying such claims, quite apart from the fact that publishing such means would immediately be exploited by miscreants the world over.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:00 AM
  • Microsoft Support Professionals should at least be able to help me, my siblings, and our probate attorney figure out who to contact and/or subpoena at Microsoft so we can access our recently departed sister's documents.  She died unexpectedly with no will.  My youngest brother will become executor soon.  We believe her password protected Word documents may contain useful information such as passwords for her bank account, etc.

Writing as an attorney, a probate court order will get you access to bank records without passwords.

You assume that there is a method to crack these passwords, other than a brute-strength attack. That is a big assumption. The only methods I've seen discussed are a brute-strength attack requiring months, if not years, of dedicated computer time or access to a supercomputer.

AFAIK, the only weakness in Office passwords to open is that they allow a brute-strength attack. Such an attack essentially tries every possible combination of characters, starting with the most likely until it finds a match. With a "strong" password such an attack is likely to take a very long time.

A more secure method than that used by Office is that used by recent iPhone and Android devices that wipes the device after a given number of erroneous attempts.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:02 PM
  • Hi, Muhammad,

Which version of Word you used to generate your document? For earlier versions of Word, the encryption algorithm is not very strong, so you can easily write a VBA code to break it via brute force attack.

Good luck!

Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:45 AM