none
Pushing out desktop shortcut via SCCM RRS feed

• Question

•  I've used Novell ZENworks the last few years,  we have several....what they call Bundles ....created within ZENworks that simply push shortcuts to the desktop.... to say an access db located on the network that we attach a .ico file to that when the shortcut gets pushed down they have it with a "custom" icon.   or we might have a shortcut that simply launches an URL to a certain website.      In ZEN it's pretty straight forward,  but I'm having a hard time learning how to do this in SCCM. 

Is all this possible within the package/program section of Software Distribution?

Any help from someone who has gone from ZENworks to SCCM would be great or if someone who's learned to master SCCM would also be a delight to hear from.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:35 PM

Answers

• easiest thing to do is create a package that contains the .ico file and a script or bat file to copy the ico to the all users desktop. If you don't want it on all users I suggest you use group policy preferences or a login script.

In a bat file you could do something like this. Make sure to set your advertisement to download and execute.

@ECHO OFF
    SETLOCAL

Set THISDIR = %~dp0

xcopy "%THISDIR%myshortcut.ico" "%PROFILESFOLDER%\all users\desktop"

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum |
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:39 PM

All replies

• easiest thing to do is create a package that contains the .ico file and a script or bat file to copy the ico to the all users desktop. If you don't want it on all users I suggest you use group policy preferences or a login script.

In a bat file you could do something like this. Make sure to set your advertisement to download and execute.

@ECHO OFF
    SETLOCAL

Set THISDIR = %~dp0

xcopy "%THISDIR%myshortcut.ico" "%PROFILESFOLDER%\all users\desktop"

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:39 PM
  • I see where you suggest that we use group policy preferences.  this is the second time I've read that to push out these icons/shortcuts,  that a GPO would better serve us.   Do you recommend I pursue that avenue instead of trying to use SCCM to do this.

Second question is....if I do decide to go with SCCM to do this,  it's my understanding I have to advertise my package/program to a collection.

Any tips on creating a custom collection that consists of either computers or users I want to receive these applications.

For example,  I'm testing with deploying Project 2007,  but I want it deployed to say two machines in AD.  Whats the best way to create a collection of just those two machines ...where I could then assign the collection of those two machines to the Project 2007 software package.

• Proposed as answer by AgeeTech Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:51 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Yes, I suggest you use GP preferences rather than SCCM for shortcuts.

It's best practice in SCCM not to deploy to users, always computers.

If it's just two computers I'd just create a direct membership collection containing those two machines. Name it to corrospond to the app, not the computers because you will likely add more computers later.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:20 PM